Any Winter Treatment For Water Pipes ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had water pipes freeze and burst several times. The old furnace at country house would brake down at least once a winter. Always the same part. Once pipes froze then thawed then burst, I had a bad feeling and drove up to check house. I walked into a lake. My home owners covered it all. Once while at country house white plains house pipes froze stopping the heat. I had a miserable 3 days with electric heaters tring to stop more damage. Now I run the water in all sinks when temps drop below 20 degrees. I have seen heated tape you wrap around pipes, but can not get to mine. What do you do

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you aren't currently using the house, you could shut off the main water valve, leave spigots on until all water has come out of the pipes, then pour antifreeze in all drains and the commode.

If you use the house frequently and these precautions are not feasible, you may want to hire someone to cut through the floors and such to insulate your pipes and also apply heat tape, then keep heat on in the house during cold weather enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

And ounce of prevention, you know.... ;)

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
2018 started out with a water main break 1/2 a block from the house on New Years Eve so NO water. Then we got up to NO water to kitchen sink. Seems to freeze those pipes anytime the temps get low. :( DH says they are not where he can reach to add insulation or wraps. So I just need to remember to keep tap open a trickle during the bad spells. What a head ache.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, agreed @Beekissed especially if you're not going to be there. if you have an electric hot water heater make sure it is properly emptied/checked too and that the electricity is off to it... they need to be full when run... (i'm not actually sure about the heat on demand kind but probably a good idea to make sure those are off too).

running small amount of water is standard fare for many older places where the pipes can't be gotten at or better insulated.

anytime doing a renovation always include $ for fixing such issues in that area as it is always nice not to worry. old pipes in and of themselves may need replacing anyways.

for a short term fix, small heater and fan to push the air at the problem location.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
yes, agreed @Beekissed especially if you're not going to be there. if you have an electric hot water heater make sure it is properly emptied/checked too and that the electricity is off to it... they need to be full when run... (i'm not actually sure about the heat on demand kind but probably a good idea to make sure those are off too).

running small amount of water is standard fare for many older places where the pipes can't be gotten at or better insulated.

anytime doing a renovation always include $ for fixing such issues in that area as it is always nice not to worry. old pipes in and of themselves may need replacing anyways.

for a short term fix, small heater and fan to push the air at the problem location.

Yes we have heater and fan running into the crawl space the pipe runs in. Was not enough. It was/is VERY Cold. So water is running in sink until cold lets up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if it is possible, for a temporary thing, pile some bales against that outside area/wall to help insulate from that direction.

if you have a lot of snow you can build a snow wall to block the wind/cold.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
We were very blessed when we had the plumber redo the incoming pipes in 2015 (Fall). The pipes at that time (and for the almost 100 years prior) buried only 2 ft deep. NOW, they are 4 ft deep. Dunno if the previous owners had winter water problems then, but we haven't had it this cold since we moved here, so I am very grateful.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have cut off valves at every faucet. The house is underskirted which acts as insulation. Pipes are Pex and they supposedly stretch when frozen. Buried pipes are PVC. Where PVC comes into the house, it is wrapped.

We had old plumbing at our old house, galvanized pipes in the ATTIC! I carried insurance on it and one day, the pipes burst. I came home to water running out the front door, down the sidewalk and down the street. I turned off water at the meter and went inside. Ceilings caved in, floors flooded, I called DH bawling.

I am all about good plumbing and shut off valves.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you aren't currently using the house, you could shut off the main water valve, leave spigots on until all water has come out of the pipes, then pour antifreeze in all drains and the commode.

If you use the house frequently and these precautions are not feasible, you may want to hire someone to cut through the floors and such to insulate your pipes and also apply heat tape, then keep heat on in the house during cold weather enough to keep the pipes from freezing.

And ounce of prevention, you know.... ;)
That's what we do. Shut off water and drain pipes.

Mary

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have had water pipes freeze and burst several times. The old furnace at country house would brake down at least once a winter. Always the same part. Once pipes froze then thawed then burst, I had a bad feeling and drove up to check house. I walked into a lake. My home owners covered it all. Once while at country house white plains house pipes froze stopping the heat. I had a miserable 3 days with electric heaters tring to stop more damage. Now I run the water in all sinks when temps drop below 20 degrees. I have seen heated tape you wrap around pipes, but can not get to mine. What do you do
What about paying someone to check on the house?

Latest posts