Any Winter Treatment For Water Pipes ?

Ann Rose

Sprout
Reaction score
One of the serious threats of winter's cold temperatures is frozen pipes. When water freezes, it expands and causes the pipes to break. Frozen pipes cannot spill water. Hence, proper preventive measures must be taken in order to prevent the freezing of pipes. Just go through this link. It can help you to protect the pipes from freezing: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/ho...ypes-of-emergencies/winter-storm/frozen-pipes

Like pipes, door locks also freezes. At home, most of the year door lock freezes. This happens when the moisture gets trapped in it. Although there are preventive measures, I usually forget to do that before winter. Last year too the locks got frozen. I was not able to insert the key into the hole to lock the door. At last, I had to hire door hardware service to get the door locks repaired. I would like to know whether any winter proof pipes and door locks are available in the market. Anyone familiar with such stuff?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the serious threats of winter's cold temperatures is frozen pipes. When water freezes, it expands and causes the pipes to break. Frozen pipes cannot spill water. Hence, proper preventive measures must be taken in order to prevent the freezing of pipes. Just go through this link. It can help you to protect the pipes from freezing: http://www.redcross.org/get-help/ho...ypes-of-emergencies/winter-storm/frozen-pipes

Like pipes, door locks also freezes. At home, most of the year door lock freezes. This happens when the moisture gets trapped in it. Although there are preventive measures, I usually forget to do that before winter. Last year too the locks got frozen. I was not able to insert the key into the hole to lock the door. At last, I had to hire door hardware service to get the door locks repaired. I would like to know whether any winter proof pipes and door locks are available in the market. Anyone familiar with such stuff?
You can purchase heat tape to wrap around pipes that may be at issue. But the long term solution is insulating them from freezing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ann Rose the handymans secret weapon (duct tape :) ). actually probably a really bad solution, but some locks are better designed than others to shed or protect from water if they are used in an exterior location. some padlocks have plastic covers... i think the most general answer is that the location itself is protected somehow (porch roof, door jam overhang, etc.)

in my life of always being in cold weather for the winters i've never had house locks be an issue with freezing. car doors/locks have been an issue once in a while, but then i just crawl in through the trunk or the other side works.

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Water pipes: Heat/insulate or drain```

One time ~ when building my house in the mountains~ I when merrily of to church and friends in Sacramento or Oakland~ without a care or worry~ when I returned it was dark~ and the water didn't come on when I turned the handle~ I built a fire~ and thought~ what to do~ I heard a swoosh ~ down where the laundry was to be~ I turned the water off ~ cut our the copper split~ sweated in a patch~ and went up stairs~ swishoo~ again I patched~ then another splooch~ 13 times for thirteen breaks in the copper```

That was a good while ago~ lot of water under the bridge```

Latest posts