Any Winter Treatment For Water Pipes ?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh... I shut off water to my dad's house and drained the pipes and hot water tank. I didn't think of the commode. I did leave water in it, because I heard sewer odors would come up if there wasn't water in the bowl. I'm thinking I may have flushed it a time or two after the water was shut off, so hopefully the tank is empty. Will have to run by tomorrow and check on things. The heat is off entirely, although I left the gas service on so I can fire up the gas heaters when I am there. It was down to -2 here last night. Anything else you guys think I may have missed/destroyed? :he :fl

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Antifreeze is better than water in the unused commode. Leave cupboard doors open to the house heat when pipes run along outside walls works as well as keeping a pencil thin stream of water running in cold weather.

Pex pipe is amazing! If you ever do have your plumbing redone in parts of the house, consider having it redone in pex. It does expand when frozen and even the joints and fittings are safe from freezing and leaking.

Straw or hay bales on the outside foundation where water goes into the house or even on the first floor foundation where pipes run along outside walls is a great idea. The added insulation will definitely help keep water from freezing.

Journey, turning off the heat entirely can result in plaster cracking and the possibility of mold growing on walls as the freezing warms to leave condensation on them plaster even if the water isn't a problem. Keeping the heat way down, but not to the freezing point is a better idea.

Nyboy, there are systems that allow you notification via your computer or phone if the heat goes off. Then you can have a repairman get to the property before the lack of heat becomes a problem.

It's been -13 degrees the past two mornings. So far none of my tenants have reported water problems. A few years ago the city water froze at the street. I ended up renting a couple of apartments and having the Culligan Man bring drinking water for my tenants until the city fixed their problem. The snow was brought into the tubs for flushing toilets. Yes, we made do, but it was a tough six weeks for everyone.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh... I shut off water to my dad's house and drained the pipes and hot water tank. I didn't think of the commode. I did leave water in it, because I heard sewer odors would come up if there wasn't water in the bowl. I'm thinking I may have flushed it a time or two after the water was shut off, so hopefully the tank is empty. Will have to run by tomorrow and check on things. The heat is off entirely, although I left the gas service on so I can fire up the gas heaters when I am there. It was down to -2 here last night. Anything else you guys think I may have missed/destroyed? :he :fl

all drains should get antifreeze. those S curved pipes (traps) are what keeps the sewer gas from coming back into the house. you can't or shouldn't drain those dry. even in an unused sink you should run the water or put a plug in to keep the gas out (if the trap dries).

ice-makers in fridge. fish tanks. glass jars full of water and foods that should not be frozen in cupboards.

if you left the gas service on, but are not there, be careful when first opening the door. you don't want any explosions from unlit pilot lights or your coal miner lantern...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We also leave the empty fridge door at the cabin open. One time we forgot and there was a little mold inside.

We just got a timer for our gas heater stove. Love that we can turn it on with our smart phone before we leave. When we get there cabin is nice and warm. Best investment ever!

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh. Live and learn, I guess? The lawyer told me (regarding other matters) that I'd know better next time on the next estate. No thank you...I would not want this responsibility again.

Well, the damage is done now, given the single digit temps we've had all week. I did read articles online on what to do ahead of time. Perhaps not thoroughly enough. I did empty the the fridge and freezer and left them open. Pilot lights are off too. Several walls are plaster, not dry wall, so that is something needing done.

Hopefully my brother will be happy to take the house as his inheritance, then it will be his problem. He can fix anything anyway. I haven't heard a peep out of him since June. I would have had most everything done by now if I could get him to show up, sit down and go over it. Lawyer visit was not very encouraging. I'm tired of waking up at night and worrying about it.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ugh. Live and learn, I guess? The lawyer told me (regarding other matters) that I'd know better next time on the next estate. No thank you...I would not want this responsibility again.

Well, the damage is done now, given the single digit temps we've had all week. I did read articles online on what to do ahead of time. Perhaps not thoroughly enough. I did empty the the fridge and freezer and left them open. Pilot lights are off too. Several walls are plaster, not dry wall, so that is something needing done.

Hopefully my brother will be happy to take the house as his inheritance, then it will be his problem. He can fix anything anyway. I haven't heard a peep out of him since June. I would have had most everything done by now if I could get him to show up, sit down and go over it. Lawyer visit was not very encouraging. I'm tired of waking up at night and worrying about it.
:hugs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugs This is not a problem you need, Journey11 -- now or ever. Hopefully your brother will step up sooner rather than later.

I've done the estates of my father, my mother, my sister, my brother-in-law, and my mother-in-law. Haven't done anything about Spouse's estate since everything is left to me anyway. I do know I should be doing the legal things to get everything into my name and all, but I told the County Probate people that the next time they saw my name on any papers I would be listed as the deceased, not the PR.