Anybody like carrots

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some folks use a cornstarch glue.

I read about "fluid seeding" on farms a few years ago and decided to do that for a couple of seasons. It was just with lettuce seed mixed into the glue. Worked really well.

Worked too well. If the purpose was to thin seed, it didn't work. My dribbles were somewhat out of control ;).

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My wife makes them. Regular old elmers glue and uses a toothpick to place them in it.

I come up behind with shirt over my head and say.....

I am the great Cornholio, I need TP for my.....

i know nothing of the technology of them, but the primitive forms called seed bombs are fun to make. :) i once thought that drilling out acorns and filling them with various seeds mixed with clay and then using a slingshot to disperse them would be fun. until i whacked myself good with my wristrocket when the strap broke and that was the end of that... :) this was also an attempt to scare off deer device that didn't pan out... smack 'em with an ice-cube in the winter and see them run.

i'd seen the idea of seed bombs in several places via permaculture and natural farming.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some folks use a cornstarch glue.

I read about "fluid seeding" on farms a few years ago and decided to do that for a couple of seasons. It was just with lettuce seed mixed into the glue. Worked really well.

Worked too well. If the purpose was to thin seed, it didn't work. My dribbles were somewhat out of control ;).

Steve

you would have enjoyed yesterday seeing me glueing the ceiling for tile. talk about out of control... i managed to also stick my head in the glue once. ladder step was a bit too short and the next step was a bit too tall... i'd still be there hanging by hair if i had enough... j/k, but it's funny to think about. :)

the greenhouse people use some contraption for planting flats that has likely been set up for pelletized seeds of various sizes and uses air pressure to move things around.

i wanted to go much more low tech for moving beans and sorting them here at home using a model railroad. i think glass tubes may be a more fun compromise... we'll see what i dream up next... the key, of course, is in the actual doing... glassworking has always appealed to me, so perhaps that may happen eventually... fun to tinker. must probably be a good idea though to work outside so i don't burn down the haus...

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
i Like raw carrot sticks it my favorite way to eat them. Last year we used the seed tape with not very good results the few carrots we got were huge though.this year we are growing rainbow mix carrots using pelleted seeds. Pelleted is by far the easiest way to plant carrots that I have tried. The pelleted seeds cost more but it is the way we going to do it from now on. It way less work as far as thinning goes and are really easy to plant.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
The best results we ever had with carrots was the year we planted them where the rabbit hutch had been! Good loose, well fertilized soil. They do far better in the raised beds with new or amended garden soil. Planting directly in the ground results in small, misshapen carrots for us.

thejenx

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I had no luck with my carrots, first sowing was destroyed by slugs and the other attempts were hampered by the drought. Just saw this video and I just might give this a try!

Latest posts