Anybody with advice on vegetation killer?

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser maybe this bloq would explain it?

https://www.aei.org/publication/the-omnivores-delusion-against-the-agri-intellectuals/print/

I can see where a hugel would be of advantage in water short areas. Would be nice for flowers or vining plants. Can't imagine trying to weed on top of a 6' tall one.

The author of that blog is yet another slave to the system - he is only one person. The question of industrial-Ag vs. sustainable is a question that could only be answered by society itself; not by a single, biased individual. It isn't that simple. Also people these days also seem to completely dismiss the possibility of mistaken knowledge - they think that we're so technologically "advanced" that we should be impenetrable to that kind of stuff. I guarantee you that the people during Galileo's time thought that he was a delusional nut-job for his ideas, and completely dismissed him as an idiot.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup I agree. One could link many, many articles from sustainable farming gurus that would refute every single thing on that blog. At that point it's just a he said, she said type of thing. The whole "we are feeding the world" phrase has been done to death and it has become an excuse for all the practices that ultimately diminish the Earth's ability to sustain life.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is nothing that is sustainable without adding. When you take away, you have to add back. You couldn't add enough compost to feed a crop to feed even your family. Meat-don't make me laugh. Not even our organic Amish can.

So people live with technology (computers, cell phones, every person with cancer uses modern technology rather than witch doctor Meds) but AG is not allowed? Too funny.

I do not try to convince anyone that YOU have to use these methods or support them. Just trying to get info so you understand why. Those of us are not slaves-don't appreciate the depiction. I could depict organic fanatics as uninformed cave people. But I don't think they are.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
The author of that blog is yet another slave to the system - he is only one person. The question of industrial-Ag vs. sustainable is a question that could only be answered by society itself; not by a single, biased individual. It isn't that simple. Also people these days also seem to completely dismiss the possibility of mistaken knowledge - they think that we're so technologically "advanced" that we should be impenetrable to that kind of stuff. I guarantee you that the people during Galileo's time thought that he was a delusional nut-job for his ideas, and completely dismissed him as an idiot.
It appears that you just described yourself !!! :idunno

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup I agree. One could link many, many articles from sustainable farming gurus that would refute every single thing on that blog. At that point it's just a he said, she said type of thing. The whole "we are feeding the world" phrase has been done to death and it has become an excuse for all the practices that ultimately diminish the Earth's ability to sustain life.
Yup, I agree with you that the " sustainable farming gurus" , the only true messiahs and saviors of the Earth's ability to sustain life, have indeed preached the " we are feeding the world " phrase to death. :caf

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Most of the invasive plants were originally brought in for a well intended purpose , however their other qualities were ignored and then turned into serial abusers of our native plants, fauna, lands and waters. :barnie

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It appears that you just described yourself !!! :idunno

I know that I made the mistake of resorting to name - calling, but why should you carry it on?

There is nothing that is sustainable without adding. When you take away, you have to add back. You couldn't add enough compost to feed a crop to feed even your family. Meat-don't make me laugh. Not even our organic Amish can.

So people live with technology (computers, cell phones, every person with cancer uses modern technology rather than witch doctor Meds) but AG is not allowed? Too funny.

I do not try to convince anyone that YOU have to use these methods or support them. Just trying to get info so you understand why. Those of us are not slaves-don't appreciate the depiction. I could depict organic fanatics as uninformed cave people. But I don't think they are.

I acknowledge that there is nothing sustainable without adding. Doesn't mean that we have to be adding though, a well-functioning system should be able to balance everything out itself. Compost and hugelculture are really only realistic alternatives on a smaller scale, and the more that one actively uses them the more one will need to as the plants adapt to being babied. I would not consider hugelculture and compost all that sustainable. I know relatively little about livestock, but do agree that it would be nigh impossible to raise them %100 percent sustainably. However, a healthy plant population is the base to any healthy ecosystem.

Modern medicine and modern technology are two different subjects. Both have their pros and cons. Feel free to make another thread on this topic if you would like.

I understand why, I have understood why. I'm not trying to get you to try things my way either, as it's quite obvious that you're not going to and haven't shown the slightest interest in embarking down that trail in the past. Just speaking out about something that I feel strongly about and I would like out of my system. As for the name-calling, I apologize, I really am trying to keep things as civil as possible.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I need to clear the 4' wide bed next to my house. I've been fighting weeds there and I've pruned the yews so much that I killed 5 of them--NO loss to ME--but I'm tired of fighting every year. I understand that vegetation killer clears every plant that is sprayed for about one year and some plants need a second spraying. I'd like to keep the existing yews, the hydrangea in the corner, and the plantings on the north and south of my front walk, but kill off everything else that has been growing around the east and south of the house. Any comments and advice and experience in welcome. :D
So, how are you going too clear the area?

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that what's become very clear here is that we have some very intelligent, very passionate gardeners on both sides of the ideological fence. What we all have in common is that we grow plants.

And that's why we're here.

And I'm curious too @ducks4you , have you made a decision yet?
Who knew what a can of worms this was going to be huh?

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I think a sale on weed and grass killer made the decision FOR me. I bought 4 gallons and I starting tomorrow. It's gonna be work. I need to mow and pull, rake the stone and do some digging before I apply. Fortunately a sidewalk seaparate this contiguous bed from the lawn and any other planting areas. IF I plant anything else there, it won't be until 2016. I was hoping to establish some lavendar in these beds in the future. I'll let you'all know how it goes. :D

Latest posts