Anyone do hydroponics?

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've decided to join the hydro crowd!

Mostly for growing salad and herb goodies in winter, in the house - and in summer I'll use the system to get my starts for the garden going.

I just purchased a system (don't feel like building one myself)

I don't know What the heck I'm doing but I'm determined to give it a good go!

I purchased the Rainforest 66 system (aerophonic I think) and the nutrients I purchased a starter kit. (I browsed on Amazon to look for the ones with good reviews)

:D

I've been trying to find out how much faster veggies will grow in a hydro system. I saw somewhere that they'll grow 30-50% faster! Which is fantastic! I will also try Broccoli and Cauliflower (my kids love those)

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ok you made me look. I am ASSUMING (which usually means I screw up) that the hydro means you are growing it in water? I think I am looking at the ones from miron correctly to say they are growing in a sponge? I am again assuming that there is a pump pushing water through the pipes? If there enough support there or is there other things that have to be done to keep the plant from pulling out?

Jack, it looks as though your are in dirt though? or is there something there that I just cant see?

Wildsky, Is aerophonic the same thing?

Would the concept of a float bed work / still be concidered hydrophonics? That is how i start my seeds before I transplant them to the garden. It would definatly be nice to get some home grown veggies in the winter. I have often thought about trying a tomato or 2 in a large pot indoors but wonder it the pollination will work like it should?

Hobby

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
As far as I know the hydro you do need a medium to grow in, I have purchased some clay rocks. The rainforest system sprays water and nutrients onto the root area at set times. (aeroponics - i think)

THere are other systems that will flood the growing chamber or root area with the water and nutrients and then it drains away (Ebb and flow)

And yet another system which drips the water and nutrients through little tubes into the growing meduim.

:D

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Ok you made me look. I am ASSUMING (which usually means I screw up) that the hydro means you are growing it in water? I think I am looking at the ones from miron correctly to say they are growing in a sponge? I am again assuming that there is a pump pushing water through the pipes? If there enough support there or is there other things that have to be done to keep the plant from pulling out?

Jack, it looks as though your are in dirt though? or is there something there that I just cant see?

Wildsky, Is aerophonic the same thing?

Would the concept of a float bed work / still be concidered hydrophonics? That is how i start my seeds before I transplant them to the garden. It would definatly be nice to get some home grown veggies in the winter. I have often thought about trying a tomato or 2 in a large pot indoors but wonder it the pollination will work like it should?

Hobby
In the autopots I am growing in coco coir and perlite and the media is completely inert. The only nutrients the plants receive are what I feed them. In the drip rings, ebb and flow and aeroponic units I use expanded clay pellets and provide the nutrients periodically using small pumps and timers. It is not rocket science. My blog has photos of all of the systems I use so you can get an idea of how they function. Also, indoor pollination is not an issue. For tomatoes and peppers you simply tap the flowers gently to vibrate them a few times a day until fruit sets.

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jack

That info is just amazing. You are quite the inventor! I work a lot on the same basis - why be the couple spending $200 when you can build it yourself for $30? I have just started reading through your blog. Hopefully there is detailed enough stuff for a guy like me to build / work some of these. Thanks for sharing.

Hobby

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grow 4 Food said:
Jack

That info is just amazing. You are quite the inventor! I work a lot on the same basis - why be the couple spending $200 when you can build it yourself for $30? I have just started reading through your blog. Hopefully there is detailed enough stuff for a guy like me to build / work some of these. Thanks for sharing.

Hobby
now there is a slap in the face if I ever saw one! Thanks really nice of you.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
In England and some European countries hydroponics under glass is quite an industry. The climate in parts of England makes it difficult to ripen heat loving veggies like tomatos and cukes in an outdoor garden.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
hoodat said:
In England and some European countries hydroponics under glass is quite an industry. The climate in parts of England makes it difficult to ripen heat loving veggies like tomatos and cukes in an outdoor garden.
The climate in upstate New York also makes growing warm weather crops "iffy" That is why I grow them under glass hydroponically. From my perspective, growing under glass with soil is too problematic. If that were my only option, I would not have a greenhouse.;)

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jackb said:
hoodat said:
The climate in upstate New York also makes growing warm weather crops "iffy" That is why I grow them under glass hydroponically. From my perspective, growing under glass with soil is too problematic. If that were my only option, I would not have a greenhouse.;)
What is your Zone Jack?

We have such a short growing season here it can be annoying. We had a hard freeze last night and I'm hoping my veggies outside made it with milk jug covers.

My hydro system will be for inside the house - sadly I don't have a greenhouse (yet :lol:)

Greenhouses interest me but I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make here. I wish I could experience a greenhouse before buying one! Or even know what temps it can maintain without being heated when its freezing outside.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
jackb said:
hoodat said:
What is your Zone Jack?

We have such a short growing season here it can be annoying. We had a hard freeze last night and I'm hoping my veggies outside made it with milk jug covers.

My hydro system will be for inside the house - sadly I don't have a greenhouse (yet :lol:)

Greenhouses interest me but I'm not sure what kind of difference it would make here. I wish I could experience a greenhouse before buying one! Or even know what temps it can maintain without being heated when its freezing outside.
I am in zone 5 and we are still two weeks or more from the last frost date. The temperature last night was in the mid thirties. The greenhouse holds some heat from the day, however, I do have a small heater set for forty five degrees. I began using the greenhouse on March first, and will probably use it until mid to late November. It certainly extends my growing season, and I really don't notice a big difference in our electric bill.

Latest posts