Anyone do hydroponics?

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I checked walmart for the PH testing kit - nothing.!

I received my Raintree today :p I can't really do anything with it yet - I need the light to arrive first. I also want to buy a little wheeled stand or caddy so when this thing is FULL I can still move it to drain it out.

So with any luck by next week I will have everything I need.

I did start a couple of seeds in Rockwool :lol: That rockwool is awesome stuff, heck it seems to be easier than messing with soil. we'll see if anything sprouts!

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I checked walmart for the PH testing kit - nothing.!

I received my Raintree today :p I can't really do anything with it yet - I need the light to arrive first. I also want to buy a little wheeled stand or caddy so when this thing is FULL I can still move it to drain it out.

So with any luck by next week I will have everything I need.

I did start a couple of seeds in Rockwool :lol: That rockwool is awesome stuff, heck it seems to be easier than messing with soil. we'll see if anything sprouts!
Try someplace like Pet Smart or a pet store locally. Wal-Mart used t have them locally but they dropped them also. Hydroponic stores have the kits if you have one locally. You could have bought one from Amazon also. I don't move them to drain them, they have a drain tube. I elevate them with a small platform and simply drain and refill them. My credo is keep it simple.:lol:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Test-Kit/dp/B000BT32UA

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jackb said:
Try someplace like Pet Smart or a pet store locally. Wal-Mart used t have them locally but they dropped them also. Hydroponic stores have the kits if you have one locally. You could have bought one from Amazon also. I don't move them to drain them, they have a drain tube. I elevate them with a small platform and simply drain and refill them. My credo is keep it simple.:lol:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Hydroponics-pH-Test-Kit/dp/B000BT32UA
I'm going to buy it online, really near me there is nothing, walmart is about it other than the feed store.

I'll be keeping the system in our dining area, (open plan to the tiny kitchen!) The closest place to drain would be to wheel to the sliding door and dump it out there (is it ok to just dump the nutrient water like that?) I doubt I could lift it to get it high enough to drain into the tub or sink. I think it holds 17 gallons of water.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can build a small elevated platform you can drain it into a wash pan. I pour the used nutrients into the soil garden, shrubs, strawberries and onto the lawn. I even use them for the house plants. If it holds 17 gallons it will go about 140 lbs. It would be kind of a pain to move it around, but it is your choice. I drain mine into a dish pan and have a small pump in the dish pan pumping the used nutrients into a five gallon container while it drains. Then I dump the container where I want to use the nutrients. You will have to decide what works for you.;)

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I tested our water. it came back with a 6.5-7 ph which is pretty darn good I think! :D

I am waiting for hubby to build me a little raised platform for the rainforest.

I bought him a compound miter saw for his birthday (which is tomorrow) and stupid ups delivered without me hearing their darn truck, so he saw the box in the garage before I could hide the dern thing. ANyhoo - so he has a new toy now he wants to try out - lucky me! :gig

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
I tested our water. it came back with a 6.5-7 ph which is pretty darn good I think! :D

I bought him a compound miter saw for his birthday (which is tomorrow) and stupid ups delivered without me hearing their darn truck, so he saw the box in the garage before I could hide the dern thing. ANyhoo - so he has a new toy now he wants to try out - lucky me! :gig
Sounds like you have everything under control. Good luck, and please keep us informed on your progress. :)

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
jackb said:
Wildsky said:

Sounds like you have everything under control. Good luck, and please keep us informed on your progress. :)
I will! Thank you for your help! much appreciated. I am just waiting on the stupid light fitting thing before I can get going, I will probably put the little seedlings in anyway - I don't have much choice. I am keeping it near a window, but on the North side of the house.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wildsky said:
jackb said:
Wildsky said:

I will! Thank you for your help! much appreciated. I am just waiting on the stupid light fitting thing before I can get going, I will probably put the little seedlings in anyway - I don't have much choice. I am keeping it near a window, but on the North side of the house.
That should be fine.

Wildsky

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:lol:

hydro.jpg

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
That might work, however, it is recommended that seedlings have the roots showing through the media, and have two to four true leaves before you put them in the system. At the stage your seedling are presently in they really need little, if any, nutrients. Also, you should cover the rockwool when you put them in the system to prevent the growth of algae. It not only looks like heck, but it will draw gnats and take nutrients intended for plants. Here is what mine look like when I plant them. Don't get discouraged, you will get the hang of it.:)

307.jpg

Latest posts