Anyone starting seeds yet?

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hello.....Going to start on Geranium cuttings this next week.....I have a few Dahlia tubers started for a customer who wants a few early plants. I will start planting veggie seeds later this month....a few varieties. My tropicals are starting to make a few flower buds...ie: Spanish Oleander, Tahitian Gardenias (Tiare), and Plumerias.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
vfem said:
I got my DD babysitter to do carrots in a bucket... they are doing good for her. She planted them in October. Not big enough to harvest, but I told her with the mild winter, give them a few more weeks and they'll really get going for her again. :D
What kind of bucket? Like a large paint type bucket like you would get at Lowes? (I guess they would be 10 gallon? The ones with the tall straight sides)
Just a 5 gallon paint bucket works. I have so many of them, that's what I use for potatoes most years.

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm going to have to try this!! Do you think you could grow them inside in the middle of the summer?

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
One thing I'm trying to do constantly as I start seeds (even in december, january etc.), I let them germinate without heat. I put the pot on the window sill, and let them germinate on their own. If, then, the plants that survive are bred from, most of their seeds should do just as well in the same situation. I estimate in about 3 years, I'll have germination rates at almost regular levels, without extra heat or extra light.

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, and there is an interesting method for starting potatoes -
- Start with a 4' X 4' X 4' box, and fill the bottom with dirt just enough to start one seed potato.
- As the tuber sends up shoots, pile more and more dirt over them.
- Eventually, the potato will increase in size upward and outward, searching for a place to send up shoots. Once, this method yielded 100 lbs of potatoes. We're trying this method this spring!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
HOLY MOLY!!!

I woke up this morning to SEVEN eggplants!! :ep

Monkey better really start liking eggplant because with all those plants I think we're gonna be eating it a lot!! :lol:

Can you freeze sliced eggplant?

retiredwith4acres

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I just spent a couple of hours starting seeds. I told my husband if half of them came up it would take a week planting into individual pots and we wouldn't have enough room for them. Why do we do this!!!!??? I love it! My only problem is I am going to be gone to the coast for a week beginning Sunday and will he take care of them until I return to transplant those that sprout??

I know it is probably too early for tomatoes, etc. but we are having beautiful sunny weather in the 50's and the planting bug hits hard. Frogs peeping, birds chirping, hawks flying in pairs hunting the frogs, equals big time spring fever!

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
HOLY MOLY!!!

I woke up this morning to SEVEN eggplants!! :ep

Monkey better really start liking eggplant because with all those plants I think we're gonna be eating it a lot!! :lol:

Can you freeze sliced eggplant?
Eggplant can be frozen although I find it makes it a bit limp. Still, better than wasting it. In case they all grow and you have a bumper crop, here's the ultimate eggplant recipe website ;)
http://www.aubergines.org/recipes.php

jhook1997

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is my first ever cold frame. One side is layered with rock and dirt for planting seeds and the other side is layered with rock, stone, and pebbles, creating a heat mass. that side will be used for "hardening" flats of seedlings. The center has stepping stones for easy access. the bed is 3'x8' So far I have broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage that are ready to harden. Inside we have 4 kinds of peppers, 12 types of tomatoes, and several types of perennials started. This is also my first year starting everything from seed. So far I've only lost 6 plants that sprouted. Not too bad for a rookie. Yesterday was the first time outside for the broc., cauli., and brussel sprouts. today it's a little chilly so I'm not quite sure what to do.

8794_cold_frame_1.jpg

8794_cold_frame_2.jpg

8794_cold_frame_3.jpg

HAPPY GARDENING!:D

Latest posts