Anyone starting seeds yet?

bluelacedredhead

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
I thought my eggplant seeds were a loss... but this morning I woke up and I had 1 tiny little eggplant sprout making its way through the soil! I haven't been this happy about something so small in a very long time! :lol:
Nacho, Eggplant are heat loving plants (and seeds) and can be finicky about germinating. It's great that you are starting to see results.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Here are my just planted pots. This batch is herbs.
8829_sam_2971.jpg

This one is spinach, artichokes and cabbage.
8829_sam_2972.jpg

And more herbs.
8829_sam_2973.jpg

I also planted my asparagus roots this weekend.
8829_sam_2946.jpg

So happy I live in the south!

trunkman

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
chicken stalker said:
Detlor Poultry said:
Right now, I'm just growing some Easter plants for church ( a Nasturtium, and some Farewell-to-Spring plants). They'll be blooming by Easter. The first veggies to get started are Watermellons (April), followed by Melon/Cucumbers (April-May).
wow you're way up there!
I had to start the easter seeds before Christmas! These may be Annuals, but they're Biennials now -- theyll have lived over 2 years! (2011-2012!)

Detlor Poultry

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
lesa said:
Ally, I always have a hard time with those moonflowers germinating. Good job!
I've always had a hard time germinating Bearbind (which is closely related), too. The seed packet said 10-14 days from sowing till germination. You are supposed to soke Bearbind seeds in water overnight the day before you sow them -- and then, after vain attempts to start about 20 seeds, I pour the water (containing the soaked seeds) into the pot -- and two germinate in less then 24 hours. Yeah, I'm definately saving seed from those two. That's incredible! I've never even heard of anything like that!

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Woke up this morning and I have 9 celery, 4 eggplant, and 13 tomatoes! I have to start cauliflower and carrots today, but I'm thinking I might try to do carrots in a container this year. Anybody every try that?

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
nachoqtpie said:
Woke up this morning and I have 9 celery, 4 eggplant, and 13 tomatoes! I have to start cauliflower and carrots today, but I'm thinking I might try to do carrots in a container this year. Anybody every try that?
I got my DD babysitter to do carrots in a bucket... they are doing good for her. She planted them in October. Not big enough to harvest, but I told her with the mild winter, give them a few more weeks and they'll really get going for her again. :D

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Got the heated seed box ready. (post on my blog about my set up)

Seeding tomatoes, celeriac and peppers in the heated box.
Direct seeding cold in the greenhouse in flats:
onions
shallots
spinach

nachoqtpie

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
vfem said:
I got my DD babysitter to do carrots in a bucket... they are doing good for her. She planted them in October. Not big enough to harvest, but I told her with the mild winter, give them a few more weeks and they'll really get going for her again. :D
What kind of bucket? Like a large paint type bucket like you would get at Lowes? (I guess they would be 10 gallon? The ones with the tall straight sides)