Anyone use Black Kow?

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
for my gates.. since i never know when the gardens are going to expand. i just keep them simple for now..

raised bed area...two ends hooked together..
DSC_0002.JPG

in the main garden.. couple bungees hold the gate closed..
DSC_0001.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Her gate at her new place was a pallet. Cheap (free) and easy as it is self standing.

I bought PVC pipe with 4 elbows, used chicken wire for gate to garden/chicken run once cirn tall enough not to be killed by them

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
majorcatfish...very simple....I like that. I see you have chicken wire attached the first foot or so up the welded wire. My guess is to keep rabbits and other little varmints out. I used 1 x 2 instead of 2 x 4. In my large garden in the field I have 2 x 4 wire with chicken wire the first two feet up and chicken wire buried the first two feet out from the fence to keep the ground hogs out. But the chicken wire has rottred and I found a couple of tunnels the othger day. Time to replace the wire.

seedcorn...I was thinking of using pallets, too. for the gates. I have a lot of them from my home business. I like the PVC pipe idea....nice and light....but, how do you attach it so it "swings" open as a gate?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am currently using baling twine to hang it on post. Always meant to glue pipe to it and use smaller pipe as hinge. Just the other worked and cheap.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I only see people talking about Black Kow. It isn't available here.

That's okay. I like this 5-2-2 composted chicken manure (link). I have only used it in the corn or compost the last few years and used a bagged organic for the garden. That stuff isn't much higher in numbers, tho.

Garden gates: when I had a fenced garden, which was several years ago, I drove 2 stakes close to the gate posts and would slide a piece of plywood down between the 2 stakes and the 2 posts. I set screws through the plywood into a short piece of 2 by 4 to serve as a handle.

Steve

MoonShadows

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I looked at the chain link gates. The size I need was $58 bucks, and I need four of them. I don't want to shell out the money when I can rig something up more cheaply. Also, the spaces on both sides (hinge side and latch side) seem big enough for little critters to go through. The more I think of it, the more I like just overlapping the welded wire fencing and securing with a couple of small bungie cords. Cheap, does the job, and easy.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Our Lowes carries Black Kow manure. At a cost of over $5 per bag, that's just a little much for my pocket book. I just buy the lower priced one at $1.58. I bought 20 bags yesterday for my garden and got a good buy on some busted bags of manure. They let me have 17 bags at half price, so 79 cents a bag is pretty good. :)

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our Lowes carries Black Kow manure. At a cost of over $5 per bag, that's just a little much for my pocket book. I just buy the lower priced one at $1.58. I bought 20 bags yesterday for my garden and got a good buy on some busted bags of manure. They let me have 17 bags at half price, so 79 cents a bag is pretty good. :)

love the stuff add it to all my beds, if anything it sure helps "what they call garden soil" a mixture of soil and leaf mulch. keeps the beds easy to till ....
been mauling the idea of turning the main garden into all raised beds as well.....

our lowes offer black hen once a year as well always miss that offer...

Last edited: