AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can see the faintest trace of green on them here and there
IMG_20230814_135117.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
You need someone to respond who is more experienced and capable in growing “ripe” peppers.

However, if you are asking if their seeds will be viable — they certainly are likely to be. I save pepper seed every year that have blushed red and been allowed to hang and dry indoors.

Culinary purposes — yes, completely usable.

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ripe enough for using certainly, although they might yet get a little sweeter. If saving seed though, I'd recommend allowing one pepper to ripen completely, to the point where it begins to wrinkle.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Eat your heart out!!! I have had it with hot peppers!! :rant
I grew a couple of Ancho's one year next to the sweet peppers and didn't mark them. Thought I'd snack on one.
It took a full PINT of yogurt to get the heat out!!
Nearly a half century ago a friend of my mom gave me a small potted pepper plant covered in ripe little red peppers. I made spaghetti sauce and, without giving it much thought, added a handful of these tiny fruits. DH bit into one and ran for water with his mouth and throat on fire and temporarily struck deaf! (We fished them out of the sauce, and the traces they left behind were enough to give it a zesty tang but not a 'struck blind or deaf' amount of heat.)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nearly a half century ago a friend of my mom gave me a small potted pepper plant covered in ripe little red peppers. I made spaghetti sauce and, without giving it much thought, added a handful of these tiny fruits. DH bit into one and ran for water with his mouth and throat on fire and temporarily struck deaf! (We fished them out of the sauce, and the traces they left behind were enough to give it a zesty tang but not a 'struck blind or deaf' amount of heat.)

some of them can be pretty intense! my best friend and his family and i were eating out at a chinese place and the dish he ordered had the tiny hot peppers in it and he thought he was being macho by tossing one in his mouth chewing and swallowing it before i could say "Noooo!". a few moments later he excused himself from the table and went to the bathroom and threw it up. he still never really listened to me but oh well. some people, gotta love 'em as they are. he's gone now, RIP, still miss him lots.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband loves that kind of stuff. I do not like anything hotter than a bell pepper. It turns out, these are my "Holy Italian!" sweet peppers. :) He tried it first and after identifying it as 'not at all spicy' I got to eat them and they were very sweet.

He used the Count Draculas instead, which were pretty spicy, and my little Siberian Home's. I'm excited for more peppers to ripen!

Latest posts