Are these ripe?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you can keep on top of them, banana peppers start yellow and then they are mildly hot.
Once they turn orange they get hotter, red, super hot.
It's more finding hots I can grow. Even with a greenhouse my peppers are often stunted. I think the problem may have been top watering vs. bottom watering though, as since we've started that all the peppers have grown significantly and started producing this year.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband loves that kind of stuff. I do not like anything hotter than a bell pepper. It turns out, these are my "Holy Italian!" sweet peppers. :) He tried it first and after identifying it as 'not at all spicy' I got to eat them and they were very sweet.

He used the Count Draculas instead, which were pretty spicy, and my little Siberian Home's. I'm excited for more peppers to ripen!

To give an idea of how over-the-top hot the peppers were that nearly killed my hubby, we both love(d) hot spicey foods, ordinarily the hotter the better.

So yours is the taste-tester of the family!? ;-)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
To give an idea of how over-the-top hot the peppers were that nearly killed my hubby, we both love(d) hot spicey foods, ordinarily the hotter the better.

Personally, for any peppers more than mildly hot, I only grow them for seed & to give away. My son-in-law loves hot peppers, so he will take whatever I grow.

But when I was working, their were several self-professed "pepper heads" at work. I used them as voluntary guinea pigs, to test their tolerance. It led to some entertaining lunch breaks. :lol:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score

He's had sauces with Pepper X and Carolina Reapers in it. He loves all things spicy. I love to grow, so growing him hot peppers makes me happy but uh...I don't want to eat them.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
One of the diabolical sauces he eats

Attachments

• IMG_20230818_143155.jpg
    IMG_20230818_143155.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20230818_143201.jpg
    IMG_20230818_143201.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 54

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
He loves scorpion peppers but does not like Ghost peppers because they taste "Earthy." Also doesn't like capsaicin additives because they don't have actual pepper flavor. Finding new peppers for him is quite fun.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
He loves scorpion peppers but does not like Ghost peppers because they taste "Earthy." Also doesn't like capsaicin additives because they don't have actual pepper flavor. Finding new peppers for him is quite fun.

i'm anxiously awaiting the Beaver Dam peppers getting ready as i've not tasted those yet. i also am picky about the flavor vs. the heat. some heat is ok. too much heat is wasted on me as i won't go for that (at least not yet :) ).

Latest posts