Back home from the garden where I tried to get a picture:

IMG_20170821_123657.jpg

... almost accidentally ...

Heard a cricket ... big deal for me ;).

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
There were only a few little clouds in our sky. We watched it start to finish, drawing what the sun looked like and charting our observations every 10 minutes. We had eclipse glasses, but used pinhole projection and looked at the dappled light filtered through the shade too. Saw online later where you can also use a colander to see lots of little sun crescents. Wish I had thought of that! We noted the change in temperature. It went from 91 to 86 here. Noticed the odd light, the breeze picked up a little, 100's crickets chirping, roosters crowing like crazy, and the birds singing as the light returned to normal. Pretty cool. Wish I had thought to schedule our beach trip 2 weeks earlier. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We live just off I 5 about 80 miles N of Salem,Ore.where the news crews are to report on the totality. All that we could observe was about a 30% dimming of sunlight that had a glow that was just like the Canadian forest fire smoke 2 weeks ago. We couldn't see clearly the actual eclipse even with the glasses, however, through the dapled shade from our birch tree onto our concrete patio, you could see the cressent progression of the eclipse of the sun by the moon. :)

LocoYokel

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I didn't get very good pics but this compilation was taken about 15 miles from where I live. My chickens were pretty funny, as it got darker they headed for the coop but never made it in the door, I had even turned on their inside light but all of them just settled down right in front and waited it out, of course I didn't get that pic. :(
eclipse '17.jpg

and another:
eclipse '17 spirit lake.jpg

My pitiful attempt, no filters, just phone, love the corona:
20170821_102751.jpg

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We were hiking, up north close to Canada, and it just got a little dimmer and cooler. No glasses so I didn't look, but I really thought it would get more like twilight at least.

Latest posts