Are you TOO well cared for?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My darling husband makes coffee and breakfast every morning AND brings it to me after I stumble to my recliner in the mornings. Lately breakfast has been 2 pieces of toast with home made jelly on it. Sometimes it is oatmeal, sometimes it is cereal. :love

In the evenings, my sweet husband stumbles to his recliner and I bring his iced tea and fix his plate and put it in his lap. :love

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am spoiled to the MAX ( my wife too ) ... My wife made a fabulous chicken with scalped potato dinner ( as per usual ... gourmet ) . After dinner , I did the dishes . Later in the evening she brought to me a glass of Vin Rose wine to sip while reclineing in my Lazy Boy. This morning, I made a thermos full of coffee and took out a " frozen dinner" for lunch for my wife to take to work after almost 2 weeks of lazing around the house ( gov't shut down). :bouquet Then forgot to take them. :hu

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i admit, i'm also a culprit to some of the clutter on the counters too. but i gripe more about the spices that get left on the counter far away from the spice cabinet or the shelf near the stove. :/ the main stretch of my counter i want left open and kept clean but never stays that way longer than a day. the sink and dishwasher are beside each other so there should be no issue with getting the dishes to the sink or dishwasher to get cleaned. so why do they have to clutter up beside the sink above the dishwasher? :rolleyes: the side areas i don't mind the clutter i have over there. the microwave is on a buffet of it's own and the shelves above are used for displaying the pretty glasses and serving sets that were inherited along with the house. the fridge has it's own paper 'clutter' all over the front and down 1 side. and then there are a couple of things thrown on top of the fridge-mostly extra egg cartons, a glass canister of dried lentils/corn/beans, and my cash box for yard sales. :p

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I like marshall's rotating cabinet idea. sort of like a lazy susan, but different. my problem w/counters is that i'm a collector of every kitchen gadget/tool imaginable, so there are crocks sitting around on the counters w/scissors, spatulas, ice-cream scoops, metal utensils, non-stick utensils, wood utensils - all in their own crock. TOO MUCH and that doesn't count what's inside the drawers.

I don't cook much anymore, so I need to sell all this stuff & go the clear counter method of living. that won't cure dh from putting the empty ice cream carton in the sink when the trash is with in the same reach.

dh isn't much in the kitchen, but he helps w/the big stuff outside & i'm glad. i'm also happy to take his dinner to him while he's in his recliner in front of the tv at night. I don't look for him to bring me coffee in the morning any time soon since I get up quite a bit earlier than he does. :lol: he makes my world go round. :love

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
my solution for storing some of the utensils used during cooking was to get small brass hooks and put them under the open cabinet next to the stove and just above the butcher block topped buffet/cabinet. i can't put all my favorite utensils on those hooks since not all have a hole in the end of the handle, so they go in the drawer of the buffet/cabinet on in a crock on the counter.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Does anyone eat in their dining room?
Well, when we have guests of course!! :lol: we actually have one of those coffee tables where the top lifts up and comes toward you, to eat on or do crafts. So of course we eat in front of the TV 99% of the time.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy said:
Does anyone eat in their dining room?
We have a "formal" dining room and plenty of space in the kitchen for a table, so we usually eat in the dining room on "formal" occasions and in the kitchen for regular family meals. Like NwMtGardener, lunch and supper are usually eaten in the TV room. I would rather eat in the kitchen but don't mainly because I like to eat in the same room and DH.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Especially since I started this thread :p: The mention of dining room encourages me to write about this again. I think that the front bedroom was once the dining room in this old house.

This is a small house and over 110 years old. The guy who put the siding on for me pointed out that the back part of the main house, was built differently than the front part. It is obvious that there was another extension put on some time in the 1960's but this part he was pointing to includes the kitchen, bathroom, utility room, and stairwell to the basement.

The front bedroom does not have a basement under it but it has a "ramp" of sloping soil that is now behind an old built-in cabinet in the basement. The ramp is a part of a crawl space. It took me 10+ years to guess why the soil might run up from behind that cabinet - that was the original access to & from the basement!

That would mean that there would be no purpose for the present basement stairwell. So, it wouldn't be there. Further, the "bedroom closet" wall wouldn't need to be there to separate the closet from that stairwell.

Why would a bedroom have access to the basement??

The door leading from that bedroom into a bathroom is flush against a wall. The frame is unlike any, anywhere else in the house and looks like it was "jammed in!" The closet door & frame is similar to the other doors & frames. What's doing on???

The only thing that makes sense is that there was no bathroom door in that bedroom and the closet wasn't a closet during the early years of this house! The bathroom probably wasn't a bathroom, either! The bathroom, the basement stairwell and the utility room were together, the kitchen! The access to the basement was from the dining room to store & retrieve food down there and the closet door was how food & people moved between the old kitchen and the dining room!!!

But to answer your question Nyboy: No, we don't eat in the dining room. We sleep in there! This old house has a great big kitchen and that's where our big table is. The kitchen looks old to me but is apparently, not old enuf! . . . I usually eat on a teevee tray as far from the teevee as I can get but, that's another story ;).

Steve
beyond the closet door, in Narnia

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My cats eat on the nice dining room table, I eat...wherever...sometimes right here, sometimes outside on my porch. Also, their water is in a nice clean bowl by my sink, and extra water for them is on the other side of the sink in my old favorite coffee mug.

Once Hayley gets here from Australia I'll do things how she wants.

Latest posts