ARRRRRGGGHHH DH tilled up my potatoes!!!Is it to late to replant

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok so maybe DH is a stretch right at the moment :barnie :he but anyhow He misunderstood me or so he says and said he thought I only had 1 row of potatoes even though 5 min before he tilled he pointed out in row #2 what a potato plant should look like ......:smack
I think he does this stuff (all the time) just to see if he can tick me off....:rant :somad
So I just made a joke about him not listening and as I planted my sweet potatoes I ask him if he could "see" these. And every time I saw a startling of the other potatoes, I threw it at him and said here is the potato u said wasn't growing haha... even though I really wanted to cry :hit

So If I can even find some is it too late to plant potatoes? I am in central Illinois.:hu

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think you've got time to get in another crop....they can be buttheads sometimes, can't they? But do you really think he did it on purpose? I'll bet he's just not showing it. I know my husband would be very upset if he did something like that.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
No I am sure he did it on purpose because he hates it if things are going right for me and I don't "need" him as a helpless female LOL... So this is a power play :barnie on his part I knew it was coming :pop but just didn't expect him to do it in front of me.... :th

I figured he would mow down my flowers and claim he didn't know they were there but not my FOOD!!! :smack

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're sure he didn't mess it up so that you would never ask him to do garden chores again?

Mine used to do things like that, on the grounds that "the garden is YOUR hobby." Then I made him purchase replacement plants and replacement groceries out of his own personal money. Put an end to that real quick: A bareroot bush from the catalog is $8, a fully-leafed-out 1 gallon bush from the local greenhouse is $30, one quart of organic berries (equivalent of bush's produce) is $14 at Whole Foods.

You can replant. I would be making hubby buy the new seed potatoes though. Even if you dig some up late in September and they are still smallish, you can put a thick layer of mulch on top and let them overwinter. Then you get early new potatoes next spring, which you can dig before planting the beds.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Rosalind said:
You're sure he didn't mess it up so that you would never ask him to do garden chores again?
I had the garden, which is my project along with my chickens and HIS ducks as I am layed off in the summer :ya, under control, he just "decided" he needed to till it. :th
All I ask was for him to re till my strawberry bed because my small tiller wont till well with gravel in it. (long story short DH's dad my FIL pushed snow out of our driveway and his entry way to his shed by depositing the snow and gravel ect on my strawberry bed and killed out all my strawberries :smack .) I will be putting some type of fencing around it this year!!!!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My husband does those kind of things in the house to get out of chores.... like breaking one of my good pottery bowls while doing the dishes so I don't ask him to do them anymore. Runs the vaccum and sucks up my curtains so they get stuck and ripped up...

Stuff like that!

Somehow I've gotten him to actually ENJOY the garden.... he always does a walk through in the veggie garden, and out where he planted his new 'mini orchard' as soon as he gets home from work. He says its calming?!

(He has stepped on several of my plants and 'accidently' weed whacked many of my flowers. Not a gerber daisy yet has survived his weed whacking craftsman!!!)

I would replant the potatoes... you should have some time still!!!

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Ugh, sorry about your plants. :>( My husband has done this to me accidentally a couple of times, including this spring when he tilled up my rhubarb. A few years ago we had a joint garden with a friend and he tilled my strawberries. Thankfully they were both resilient and grew again. I would definitely replant. Do you think those that he tilled can be saved? It seems worth a try. I have potato plants from last year that grew even after we tilled the garden, not realizing there were some we'd missed last year.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Wow you gals are really reading into this, aint ya?
I bet it was just a dopey husband thing.

As for potatoe time, Id say sure- just barely.

miron28

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
vfem said:
My husband does those kind of things in the house to get out of chores.... like breaking one of my good pottery bowls while doing the dishes so I don't ask him to do them anymore. Runs the vaccum and sucks up my curtains so they get stuck and ripped up...

Stuff like that! !!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: well i am a married man and i tell you. i do this kind of stuff when i want to get out of doing something soooo when i want to get out of something i mess up.. like burn some cookies or forget to put the blender top on or run over my wife's flowers... and guess what it works like a charm!!!! i get to sit back and relax.. :thumbsup

Latest posts