Artichoke Lover’s 2021 Garden.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
First squash and green beans of the year. Both are right on time despite the cool dry weather. The first tomato is starting to turn colors too so that’s really exciting! Weeded the winter squash which is starting to bloom and tied up tomato plants. Also replanted some corn and I’ll have to go out later and finish that.
F0B088B7-5E3F-4BE8-903E-925E91798759.jpeg
908B415A-43C1-45E4-AA1E-E6D44CABA4A3.jpeg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
First squash and green beans of the year. Both are right on time despite the cool dry weather. The first tomato is starting to turn colors too so that’s really exciting! Weeded the winter squash which is starting to bloom and tied up tomato plants. Also replanted some corn and I’ll have to go out later and finish that.View attachment 41326View attachment 41327
That squash looks SO good! I've always wanted to try those light green skinned ones, but my seeds never germinated. They sell them during summer here in the market, but they don't travel well I think because they are always so badly scratched up, so I've never bought them either.

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That squash looks SO good! I've always wanted to try those light green skinned ones, but my seeds never germinated. They sell them during summer here in the market, but they don't travel well I think because they are always so badly scratched up, so I've never bought them either.
This is actually a bit of mystery plant. I’m pretty sure it came in a little pack of white bush patty pan! It sure is pretty though! If it tastes good I’ll try saving seed from it.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice basket of harvest :), Artichoke Lover.

No pumpkin in your garden, I hope ;).

Squash cross-pollinate so readily that it must take real isolation measures to grow seed true-to-type. Pumpkin is in the summer squash species and, between the neighbor's and my plants (and the tractor guy to spread seed around), we have had some outrageous volunteers!

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nice basket of harvest :), Artichoke Lover.

No pumpkin in your garden, I hope ;).

Squash cross-pollinate so readily that it must take real isolation measures to grow seed true-to-type. Pumpkin is in the summer squash species and, between the neighbor's and my plants (and the tractor guy to spread seed around), we have had some outrageous volunteers!

Steve
I use small bags of insect netting around the squash flowers I want to use for seed saving and then hand pollinate. There’s no telling what kind of crosses I could get between the 8 types of summer squash, winter squash and pumpkins in my garden. Not all of them will cross but many will.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There you go!

I have no experience with such deliberate methods.

The best I can do with something like peppers is to have the "crop" in the distant garden, have a few plants of one variety at home for seed-saving, and watch suspiciously over the fence for what my immediate neighbors are planting ;).

Steve

Artichoke Lover

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Weeded okra, tomatoes and watermelons. Nothing else will be happening today I don’t feel well. Hit a dog on the interstate earlier and feel awful even though I never had a chance to avoid it ran out between two cars in 65mph zone and I was being tailgated by a semi. Basketball sized dent in my fender and the whole fog light apparatus is gone even the wires. Have to go find a shop to make sure it’s safe to drive home and will likely need the whole fender replaced. Horrible experience all around.

Latest posts