Asparagus

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow those are some very nice looking asparagus...great job

saut them with a little butter, garlic, chicken stock and a hint of white wine.. saut them al dente

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drizzle mine with a little olive oil and melted butter. Sprinkle with a little parmesan cheese and roast in oven till al dente. Yum!

Mary

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Do you find it difficult to keep up on? My neighbors grow it for market and they say you bave to cut it everyday once ot takes off

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yum! Perhaps my favorite veggie -- at least until June or so when the garden starts producing. It will be months before I get my first spear, so I broke down and purchased some at the grocery store yesterday. Yum! Just steamed will do it for this batch, although there will be lots of other ways to use it by the fourth of July when I stop cutting spears.

One favorite? I puree the tougher ends, freeze them, and use when making asparagus soup. Waste not, want not.

Your harvesting looks every bit as good as what I bought - and yours is homegrown so naturally better.

Love, Smart Red

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like um raw!

maybe dipped in some kind of cheesey dip.

makes my (two 3 letter words deleted) smell strong :p

blushing!!!

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Jealous. :)

I have asparagus crowns around the perimeter of my garden. They were planted long before I got here. I keep trying to dig 'em all out, but the fence is in the way. I've never managed to spot a teeny edible shoot before it's 24" tall, super thin, and woody. I've only spotted one before it went ferny, and nibbled the tip to make sure.

Does asparagus grow wild? Does an old old patch go weedy like this? I know our zone is too warm for it... is this just what happens to asparagus here?

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
joz said:
Does asparagus grow wild? Does an old old patch go weedy like this?
Yes, it grows wild around here. Birds will eat the seeds and spread asparagus all over - especially under power lines or fence rows. My BFF's mother harvested wild asparagus near here every year. She knew where the stuff grew.

And yes, an old patch can go weedy. I have an old patch that got too weedy to control so I started a new, easier to control planting of asparagus.

Still asparagus is a strong perennial. If you know where the fronds are you can mark the spots for spring and you could toss a pile of compost or manure on it this fall and improve the size of your skinny spears.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I like to steam them until almost done. Drain and throw in a pan with a tsp buter and 2 tsp soy sauce. fry quickly and eat. It's great like that chilled on a picnic, although it's not too picknic-y right now. lol

Latest posts