Asparagus

MeggsyGardenGirl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Sigh...my asparagus bed is still covered with more than a foot of snow. But even the old, woody spears that get too tall can be made into asparagus soup but I always leave a enough ferns to grow to nourish my roots for next year. They are pretty and I use them as a background planting in a perennial bed with day lilies in front. A dual purpose bed.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you ever go driving around asparagus hunting, make sure you have a woman with you. for some reason wiminfolk have better eyes to spot asparagus. it's the scientific truth. We studied this phenomenon at Neanderthal University during the mid paleolithic. Years later that feller Newton discovered the spectrum, an turns out wiminfolk can see the particular spectral signature of asparagus better than men.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Marshall, women are better at spotting EVERYTHING than men. True story - yesterday my husband says to me "that billboard said the Applebys is in front of Costco - that's ridiculous, it's on the other side of town" i was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It's been in front of Costco for like 2 years now!!" an entire building, and he's totally oblivious!

BTW amazing asparagus Joan, one of my favorite garden veggies!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
NwMtGardener said:
Marshall, women are better at spotting EVERYTHING than men. True story - yesterday my husband says to me "that billboard said the Applebys is in front of Costco - that's ridiculous, it's on the other side of town" i was like "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? It's been in front of Costco for like 2 years now!!" an entire building, and he's totally oblivious!

BTW amazing asparagus Joan, one of my favorite garden veggies!
Funny Heather! Like even in cupboards?

joz

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Smart Red said:
Still asparagus is a strong perennial. If you know where the fronds are you can mark the spots for spring and you could toss a pile of compost or manure on it this fall and improve the size of your skinny spears.
Unfortunately, my weedy asparagus is right on the fence, in the very corner where my compost is. So, I've been inadvertently doing so for a couple years now, and no improvement in size. I have noticed an increase in weedy asparagus tho. Where the neighbor didn't Round-Up it, anyway. :rolleyes:

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I will eat asparagus any way it's prepared or raw it makes no difference to me, I'm a junkie I guess lol. Our patch is not producing enough yet for a good harvest so DW and I just eat them raw in the garden as we fi d them lol.

Latest posts