Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was watching a pioneer era romance movie with my wife last night and I noticed that when they were planting their garden they threw hay on top. It was a little tidbit for us BTE gardeners. :)

Bee, when you were doing wood chips did you ever add any blood meal or other organic nitrogen fertilizer to encourage wood chip breakdown more speedily?

Yep...blood meal, chicken litter and also a whole truck load of cow manure.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee your hay mulch looks like streets paved with gold! I have searched for old hay here, but got nowhere. What a blessing to find such beautiful hay— and for free!

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee your hay mulch looks like streets paved with gold! I have searched for old hay here, but got nowhere. What a blessing to find such beautiful hay— and for free!

I know! I keep thanking the Lord for it every time I step out there and also every time I smell it through my open window....this is sweet, sweet smelling hay! Couple that with the honeysuckle on the gate and my garden is heavenly smelling right now.

I'm so tickled with the weed suppression of this hay compared to the chips. Here I am with that gold covering and not a single weed poking through and all around me are traditional gardens with weeds as high as the plants, because it's been so rainy here that people can't run their tillers through their rows. I feel very blessed by all of that.

Finding God in the garden

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
What movie were you watching?

I am forever trying to notice things like what breeds of chickens they have, or what breed of cow or horse. What have they planted and how. Just for fun.

It's called "Love's long journey". It's part of a series that starts out with a movie called "Love comes softly". It's not your average love story. It focuses more on commitment than feelings.

There's chickens and horses in there too. :)

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What movie were you watching?

I am forever trying to notice things like what breeds of chickens they have, or what breed of cow or horse. What have they planted and how. Just for fun.
Like in many movies, the background ( studio location ) as well as flora and fauna are what the movie producer perceives /wants / can afford / what may be available / approved by political correct censors and may be far from reality of the times. Take it with a grain of salt. :old

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's called "Love's long journey". It's part of a series that starts out with a movie called "Love comes softly". It's not your average love story. It focuses more on commitment than feelings.

There's chickens and horses in there too. :)

Oh yeah! I've seen that whole series. Have the books somewhere too. :love

Latest posts