Back to Eden Gardening

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's probably a good call, looking for easier to find materials. It will still serve the purpose of covering, although maybe not as easy to rake around as the woodchips.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree. These wood chips have so many long, large branches in them that it's already hard to move them around. I'm hoping, by adding the smaller particles this summer and fall, that by spring things will have composted down a bit to make it easier to move things around.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
First week of planted garden. Will try to log a pic of the garden each week to monitor progress of growth for this method. You can't really see any of the plants in this pic as they are dusted with lime...they really needed that in the soil and I had a flea beetle problem in the tomatoes. It has since rained and the tomatoes are already showing a deeper green from the additional lime and epsom salts I had fed them.

LL

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Walking the garden each morning and evening, just trying to trouble shoot any problems. Have lost 4 seedlings to cut worms this season, so placed wood ashes around all that would be a target of the same.

It's been very cool and wet here this week, so not much going on as growth is slow...still, though, things are growing. And I thank God for it!

Still have plenty of room in the garden for things, so will be planting more seeds and seedlings as I can see where to fit them in. Still on the look out for more chips, mulch hay, leaves, grass clippings, etc. with which to supplement this wood chip mulch this year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess what? God has answered my prayers, I do believe. Had placed an ad in the locals for wanting wood chips and got a call today from a lady about that...still haven't been able to connect with her on the phone about them but will keep trying tomorrow.
running-around-smiley-emoticon_.gif

My horse manure guy had no more manure right now....but found another guy in the locals with free cow manure he'll load right in the truck, so will call tomorrow and hope he still has it.

Also found an ad for mulch hay, $1 a bale, so will call about that tomorrow too.

Down the road a piece we can get 50 lb bags of sawdust for $1.50 ea.

cheerleader.gif
happy.gif
happy-dancing.gif

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, made the call and I have a source some 30 mi. from here where I can get all the chips I want. It will just take renting a trailer and making several trips in a day's time and I'll do that as often as I can in these next few weeks.

I'm also going to make me a big ol' sign and ask for chips to be dumped at our place by that company. Hope they see it and start dumping all they have....it will go right on the orchard and then the spare meadow after I get enough dumped up by the garden to last me some years. Just think if they were to dump all I would ever need!
happy-dancing.gif

Planting some final seedlings and such in the garden today and will also plant another row or two here and there of romaine lettuce...can't ever have enough of that. Takes a long time to grow but you can pick the whole head, place a seed in its place and start all over again.

Sugar snap peas are showing up!
happy.gif
Cukes are starting to send out tendrils for climbing.
happy-dancing.gif
The Bodacious corn is greener and taller than the Incredible, so I know what I'll likely plant next time, depending on the actual harvest. Will replant some watermelons that didn't germinate and also some spaghetti squash. Also planting a few black eyed Susans in the garden, along with a butterfly flower....need some color in there!

Beautiful weather at perfect temps and low humidity!!!
happy-dancing.gif
God is so very good!!! I love Him so much!!!!
Love_.gif

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplications, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God, and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Jesus Christ. Philippians 4: 4-7

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, just got back from vacation and I wanted to read your post first from the tons that I have to read. I am so happy to hear your news, especially about those darn wood chips! I guess it's always in his time and not ours.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Mary...always in His time. You'd think I'd have learned that by now, wouldn't you? :gig

Renting another, smaller, trailer tomorrow and have enlisted help from my youngest boy to haul as many loads as we can do in one day before having to return the trailer.

This week's pic of the garden progress, week #2 of growth. We've had some mighty cool, damp weather...so cool that we had to fire up the wood stove a couple of days, so the growth is slow.

LL

Here's a few pics of what I've been growing on the side....20 chicks in all, being raised by three broodies. The first broody and her chicks have been out on range since the first week, fed twice a day on chick starter but all the rest of their food is foraged. They are 2 wks old in this pic.

LL

LL

LL

Got another broody in the coop right now and am debating on letting her sit a clutch if I can't break her of it soon.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I almost bought some Lavender Orpington eggs to put under my one broody Easter Egger. She will not give up. But I thought better of it. I have too many chickens coming out of my ears already. :rolleyes: I love the broody pics though. They look very proud of their babies! :)

Your garden looks great too. Oh, the peace of not having to look at weeds! It should fill in fast with all of the rain we've been having.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Girls, these chips are like night and day compared to the other chips, or rather, twigs and branches we got last time. These are true wood chips and already mulching down....they are hot as fire inside, a rich brown, plenty of leaf matter, chipped down to the correct texture. It's like "manure day" to get this quality of chips....and all I want!

We will get three loads today and then take this rental trailer back. Then we are going to shop for a used utility trailer so that we can go dip into these excellent chips whenever the mood strikes us.

These are so much easier to place around the plants, you just wouldn't believe!! Try cuddling a seedling into a handful of twigs vs. a handful of soft, warm and small pieces of wood chips....no comparison! I'm so tickled about this my heart is leaping with every fork full I place on the trailer and truck!

I'll post pics later!