Back to Eden Gardening

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, is there any way you can rake the wood chips up into a pile and let them lay? They will probably break down faster if they were piled up. Then you could spread out your hay for your mulch.
It's kind of hard to rake them since I would also be picking up the decompsted horse manure and hay. What I could do is see if I can pick them by hand. That's not going to be fun.

I would just do it in the veggie areas for now.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't gotten any rotten hay on my garden yet and I'm months behind....we've had so much rain this winter I was waiting for a let up and some frozen ground but never really got any. Now it's way past due.

Not doing any raised beds this year, so don't need hay bales for that, at least. A lot of the family are now on low carb eating, so there's no need for me to plant many spuds, squash(just for Mom and only a yellow squash), tomatoes(I can't eat them and Mom only eats a few each season)...I'll plant one row, pumpkins, etc.

Mostly I'm going to plant a lot of butterhead lettuces, pak choi, spinach, green onions, kale, chard, green beans and such like. I'm going to plant more asparagus, spread the raspberries further, a dab of spuds, a squash, a few cukes, more rhubarb..though it just doesn't do so well here. And lots of flowers! I'll have plenty of room in the garden for flowers, so I'm makin' it rain! :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hope to get seeds into trays this weekend, spuds into the ground and also some root stock I bought today for rhubarb, asparagus and raspberries.

Still haven't sourced any hay to mulch the garden with yet but am praying for it. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually disced up the garden this year. We are using some cardboard, but don't have a lot of it. I still have lots of wood chip mulch, it is very rotted, black and crumbly. Good stuff.

All that added compost from the chips should really add some substance to your soils, Bay! Can't wait to see how your garden does this year.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Growing 4 rows of corn in the garden this season so I can make some pickled corn. I chose an old style corn called Golden Bantam, as today's typical corn that's sweet and sugar enhanced makes really bad pickled corn. It's not much good for the table unless you like that real corny taste but not as much sweetness but it should make excellent pickled corn!

Will plant beans, cukes and some squash within the corn to make better use of the space.

Spring is springing here, with daffodils bloomed and the peach trees pushing out bloom as well. Birds singing up a storm. All that always seems like trumpets of the Lord sounding to me!! :weee

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I planted cool weather stuff today, sure hope it all makes before the heat hits. Everything is greening up and looking so pretty.

I've got to do that tomorrow and Monday. We have a stretch of sunny and warm weather coming up this next week so I must garden while the sun shines. I'm WAYYYYYYYY behind this year. I haven't even sourced hay for the garden yet! :th Usually do that in the fall.

Haven't even filled my seed trays yet!! :eek:

Latest posts