Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you mean Fuyu persimmons? I LOVE those. I posted on Nextdoor and found 2 sources that gave me some and said lots more on the tree.

Mary
Nope. Wild persimmons, little bitty things. Sweet, but they have to be almost falling off the tree to be ripe. As soon as they hit the ground, the dogs or sheep scarf them up.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, I haven't even gotten that far yet! :th Been running full steam on getting the last of the firewood into shelter and haven't even gotten the garden cleaned out yet. That's a first for me...usually have that done in Oct, as well as the wood. I'm running late on everything this season. :barnie

As soon as the wood is done I'll be doing the garden cleanout and then will wait until the ground freezes to bring in a couple round bales of hay to roll out. After that I can place my square bales for raised beds and start filling those with any spare leaves I can get, which are nonexistent right now...we went from summer to fall in one week, then winter the next week, so no one was able to take care of their leaves....and I really need those leaves.

After that I'll be working on garden gates and fencing, Lord willing. Everything needs revamped and reinforced.

I wish there were about 3 of me right now..... o_O

I hope your weather holds so you can get all your fall chores done Bee. It's a great feeling to have the woodshed full and the haystacks bulging before winter sets in. And the garden cleared.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Nope. Wild persimmons, little bitty things. Sweet, but they have to be almost falling off the tree to be ripe. As soon as they hit the ground, the dogs or sheep scarf them up.

We have a couple of those in our backyard. Things never get ripe before the frost gets them. Lots out in the woods. Great for deer hunting.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed i love how the hay/alfalfa blend broke down so much faster than the wood chips.

I’d like to add some more and would love to turn those wood chips under but I’m guessing that’s not good because of the leaching of nitrogen? They are just breaking down so slowly. The first round took about 3 years. I so regret using them. Live and learn.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed i love how the hay/alfalfa blend broke down so much faster than the wood chips.

I’d like to add some more and would love to turn those wood chips under but I’m guessing that’s not good because of the leaching of nitrogen? They are just breaking down so slowly. The first round took about 3 years. I so regret using them. Live and learn.

Mary

Same here, Mary. I don't regret using them but it was definitely a live and learn experience.

Could be the hay on top of the chips would help them break down faster?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
The huge piles of wood chips we got are almost all broken down. They have put a rich black layer of soil in the garden, along with LOTS of sheep, chicken and horse manure.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Mary, is there any way you can rake the wood chips up into a pile and let them lay? They will probably break down faster if they were piled up. Then you could spread out your hay for your mulch.

Latest posts