Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Daddy lived as a boy when the garden was a lifeline. He told me of a drought when the garden was burning up. His mother lined her 5 boys up, with buckets, and sent them to the creek. They kept their garden alive. Failure was not an option.

Our garden failure is not life or starvation, but home grown sure is better. I have never, ever been a total failure with squash. I planted 5 varieties -- all dead and not even one squash.

Bee, keep piling the chips and manure on the garden. It takes time to build the soil. I'll be working on mine too.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Will do and will pray for your garden as well. :hugs

I remember hauling buckets of water from a hand pumped well , giving each little plant a cup of water only...huge gardens back then. Back then the garden was very important, though I'm sure no one would have let us die of starvation here in this country. We depended entirely on those crops back then, with other foraging for food as well...we were just talking about that today, about picking berries, shelling walnuts, harvesting wild grapes and also deer and squirrel meat..even eating groundhog and raccoon back then. That first year of homesteading all food eaten was from that cellar and that was for 7-8 people.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
:hugsBee, I am so glad you aren't giving up. :hugsPerfection is a human illusion that is unatainable. :hugsOnly God is perfection. Do what you can and enjoy what you harvest. I know you will be surprised and pleased. Remember, there are still plenty of crops that will mature for this season's garden, :hugsso keep in the game,:hugs but don't worry about what you cannot change.:hugs

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Guess what came to my house today? :weee :woot :ya :celebrate God sent "manna" from Heaven...via Asplundht. :gig They are bringing another load on Monday! I invited them to bring as many and as often as they have them.

LL

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yippee! You can't beat the price on that!
I just ordered chips from a tree company and it's going to cost a princes ransom to have them delivered. I'm using them on my pathways around the property for now.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The chips I'm getting are $10/yard, but the delivery is $65/hour. I'm at least 20 minutes from their yard so I'm hoping the guy is a fast driver and dumper and I don't get charged for more than an hour. My girly truck won't hold enough to make it worth my time and gas to go get them. It would be multiple trips anyway....like 20 for as much as I want.

Latest posts