Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you think Paul may have these questions answered somewhere? Blog, videos, etc. I'm sure others have encountered these same problems. I have but fortunately very little.

Mary

I've watched many of the follow up vids and he seems to dance around such questions and never gives a straight answer, really. And about the bugs he just blames it on overstressed plants...but they shouldn't be overstressed with this method, he claims, so why then is my garden the national bug buffet this year? Got plenty of water, plenty of nutrients from the composted chips and then some I added, plenty of sunlight, etc.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bugs are attracted to "healthy" looking plants. Especially for laying of eggs. Once established, good luck getting rid of them. Feel your pain.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've watched many of the follow up vids and he seems to dance around such questions and never gives a straight answer, really. And about the bugs he just blames it on overstressed plants...but they shouldn't be overstressed with this method, he claims, so why then is my garden the national bug buffet this year? Got plenty of water, plenty of nutrients from the composted chips and then some I added, plenty of sunlight, etc.
You're right, with this method soil should be very healthy and thus plants too. They wouldn't be stressed since they are not weak.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Different people have different tastes. Oddly, it seems to be true even with green beans.

I grew Fortex about 12 years ago. I remember that the plants were vigorous and healthy. There was something that I didn't like about the texture, not just the flavor. And yet! I was encouraged to grow them by how much others liked this variety.

DW's friend shared a few snap beans with us. We are picking plenty of Jade bush beans right now but she wanted to know what we thought of them. I thought they were good. I could tell that DW, the Jaded aficionado, didn't like them. They seemed fairly standard and good - probably Blue Lakes. What's not to like? I mean compared to green thread Jade ;).

Today, I was pleased to find just a few King's Banquet and fewer still, Cascade Giant pole beans. There are plenty for my dinner :). DW won't want any.

Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Everyone in these parts swear by the half runners and that's what we've always planted, so it's back to the half runner. No sense in growing beans no one likes, I guess.

I'll be ripping out most of the Fortex this evening and replanting with the half runners, hoping we get some this fall before frost.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grow what you, family & friends like. Everyone has their own reasons to like what they do. No right or wrong answers.

Although black tomatoes are just wrong....... :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking at the 1st page of google search ...

Are they: White half runner, Mountaineer half runner, State half runner ..?

Which are preferred and if you don't personally care about those varieties either, what do you think about experimenting with several others for your own benefit, Beekissed? "Green beans are an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin C, manganese, vitamin A, dietary fiber, potassium, folate, and iron. Green beans are a good source of magnesium, thiamin, riboflavin, copper, calcium, phosphorus, protein, omega-3 fatty acids and niacin." University of Minnesota

;) Steve

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
:sick They all taste like dirt to me, so I don't particularly care what gets planted, I just want it to be used. Don't like planting things no one wants to eat. I do wish I liked beans, as they are easy to grow and are great for you, but I just....can't. I'm not a picky eater in most cases but beans are just a no go for me. I don't even like jelly beans. :sick

This seed is the white half runner. We always called them half runners with no distinction between different types, so I don't know if they have taste variances.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Grow what you, family & friends like. Everyone has their own reasons to like what they do. No right or wrong answers.

Although black tomatoes are just wrong....... :)

I agree. How in the world could you tell if they were diseased or just black due to genetics? Ick.