Baking~ Are you```

w_r_ranch

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Made Italian bread & another buttermilk pie.

Bread_021818.jpg

Buttermilk_Pie_021818.jpg

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
YUM!! Just FYI, I stopped precisely measuring the yeast for my bread. I probably use double what is called for--I buy the jars of yeast instead of the packages--and my bread comes out with tiny holes and slices really well.
ALSO, I watched a Martha Stewart program about bread and picked up a good tip. She said to preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then you put your bread in the oven and immediately reset it to 350 degrees. That causes the yeast to cook up and (I guess) it dies and your bread cooks more thoroughly. I take it out of the pans which are ceramic and glass, and put them upside down bc there is humidity on the sides and the bottoms.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
YUM!! Just FYI, I stopped precisely measuring the yeast for my bread. I probably use double what is called for--I buy the jars of yeast instead of the packages--and my bread comes out with tiny holes and slices really well.
ALSO, I watched a Martha Stewart program about bread and picked up a good tip. She said to preheat the oven to 400 degrees, then you put your bread in the oven and immediately reset it to 350 degrees. That causes the yeast to cook up and (I guess) it dies and your bread cooks more thoroughly. I take it out of the pans which are ceramic and glass, and put them upside down bc there is humidity on the sides and the bottoms.

Mom starts her bread out hot for a while and then lowers the temperature to finish. when she takes it out of the oven she removes it from the pan right away to cool on a rack (oven rack set on the table) so it doesn't get soggy.

i just made 24 more black walnut cookies to use up the last of the black walnuts and because she wanted to take some to friends who are older and will appreciate them[*]. the guy is getting too skinny my brother says so we need to get him some extra calories... hahaha...

[*] one time i made black walnut cookies for the bake sale at the library and hardly anyone bought them (they're not chocolate chip). :(

Latest posts