Baymule’s 2020 Garden

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you put mulch on it then it won't get hot and solarize the seeds underneath. It will not cook the soil very deeply, I think that benefit is not as great as sometimes thought but cooking any weed or grass seeds is a nice thought.

If you are going to put hole sin it and plant things, I would mulch to keep the roots cooler.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think her plan is suppression, not necessarily solarization. I don't think weed cloth gets very hot underneath anyway. At least mine isn't even on a total sun day. (Of course this is not Texas and we are not using the exact same product.) I put the soil thermometer under it at a 2" depth and it's the same as the exposed soil at the same depth. Disappointing for me because I was hoping for some temperature gain to help my melon production. Earlier I thought I had a 5 degree difference, but obviously got something wrong, because it's not happening.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’m not planning on putting mulch over the weed cloth. I’m going to take it up over the winter and mulch would make a mess. #1 reason for no mulch is because it will catch weed seed and start growing on top of the mulch. Either way, I don’t want it.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have made the executive decision to get some more weed cloth. I’m slowly weeding the verdant green patch at the end of the existing weed cloth and will shortly cover it with weed cloth. But not today. We are at the end of raising Cornish Cross chickens and will be slaughtering 10 today. We do the processing outside under a couple of oak trees, then I wash, cut, wash, wash some more, pat dry, vacuum seal and freeze the meat. Got 41 total, will be busy this week!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
We have made the executive decision to get some more weed cloth. I’m slowly weeding the verdant green patch at the end of the existing weed cloth and will shortly cover it with weed cloth. But not today. We are at the end of raising Cornish Cross chickens and will be slaughtering 10 today. We do the processing outside under a couple of oak trees, then I wash, cut, wash, wash some more, pat dry, vacuum seal and freeze the meat. Got 41 total, will be busy this week!
I love my weed cloth. They save so much time and all the plants thrive! Here is my corn growing happily in a part of garden that is over run with wild blackberries otherwise.

Attachments

• 20200505_094702.jpg
    20200505_094702.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 166

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
once the plants get big enough to shade the cloth i think it would be ok, but in a hot climate it must be pretty tough on a plant when it is young. perhaps will need a bit earlier start? however, the cloth has no thermal mass so any heat it picks up during a day would be lost quickly on a too cold night.

just thinking aloud here. *clicky click keyboard aloud i guess :) *

Latest posts