Baymule’s 2020 Garden

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Waiting on daylight. Going to hit 101 degrees F today with a heat index of 106 degrees. I’ll run out and get animal chores done, then water the garden to keep it alive until it cools off to ummmm...... only 98 degrees in a few days! LOL
Wow!!! I can't imagine trying to garden in such heat. It has been over 20 years since we topped 100 degrees here. It's only mid-80's today (with a dew point over 70) and I was soaked to the skin after only 90 minutes in the garden.

My brother lived in Lake Havasu City in the 90's, it is one of the hottest places in the country - they are 113 F. as I type this. :somad Fortunately for him (and for us) he moved back to Wisconsin after a few years.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
100 degrees as of 3:43 pm. Heat index of 108 F. I’ll water again this evening to keep plants alive. This is normally the time of year when weeds are over my head and I give up. Weeds are only knee deep and I’m fighting them. Not giving up!
Glad the weeds are shorter this year. But does it really matter how tall they get if they are still weeds there?

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad the weeds are shorter this year. But does it really matter how tall they get if they are still weeds there?

Mary

well it is progress in the right direction. :) it only matters if the weeds get to seed bearing stage IMO. since @baymule has animals that will eat weeds and the garden is mostly done i'd just let the animals in the garden to finish it off and wait for cooler temperatures.

how did the weed barrier go? i guess you would have to remove that before letting animals in. :( or put pillows on their feeties. :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score

Mary
The weeds easily get over my head, so yeah, I’ll take knee high weeds and be happy.

Where the weed cloth was put down, it did a respectable job. Had to roll it up between crops and pull/dig up the crabgrass, then roll it back out. Eggplant is still making, picked 85 jalapeños from 6 plants yesterday, gave most of them away. Tomatoes are still making. Beans are struggling.

Latest posts