Baymule’s 2021 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made cornmeal today with corn I had from last year. 9 cups of corn yielded 14 cups of cornmeal. So the ratio is 1.5555 cups cornmeal to 1 cup of corn. LOL

10D64E27-2199-4E84-B9BB-2A39BE095833.jpeg

I made cornbread for supper, baked chicken, pinto beans and carrot salad. Tomorrow I’ll make dressing from the leftover cornbread.

Funny story on myself. I was maybe 20, when I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. I used an old cookbook that called for STALE cornbread for the dressing. I hit the panic button. I didn’t HAVE any stale cornbread. So I baked a couple batches of cornbread, crumbled them up and put it in a low oven to make it “stale”. Yeah, I was a dummy.

Cornbread.

924D08F3-765A-4314-989F-120D38D0AF97.jpeg

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
All I can say about that corn is wow-oh-wow-oh-wow! What a beautiful and abundant harvest! Those colours! How do you grind the corn down? I've always wanted to make my own cornmeal, I love it. I use a lot of masa harina type corn flour too for homemade soft tortillas. I imagine you need a special tool or equipment only available in Texas & other popular corn growing areas?
I use my blentec blender to grind our painted mountain coen and it does a great job. I am a little jelly of @baymule grain mill tho :)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I used my leftover cornbread to make chicken and dressing. We had one meal from it, will have a couple more. Yummy.

Just turned off the pressure canner, got 4 pints of green beans. That makes a total of 30, my goal is 60, hope I make it before heat and grasshoppers do in the vines.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I made cornmeal today with corn I had from last year. 9 cups of corn yielded 14 cups of cornmeal. So the ratio is 1.5555 cups cornmeal to 1 cup of corn. LOL

View attachment 42604

I made cornbread for supper, baked chicken, pinto beans and carrot salad. Tomorrow I’ll make dressing from the leftover cornbread.

@digitS' ^^^ carrot salad. lol someone was reading someone else's mind here... :)

@baymule love the cornmeal and grinding. do you have ear plugs or is it fairly quiet?

Finnie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Funny story on myself. I was maybe 20, when I hosted Thanksgiving dinner. I used an old cookbook that called for STALE cornbread for the dressing. I hit the panic button. I didn’t HAVE any stale cornbread. So I baked a couple batches of cornbread, crumbled them up and put it in a low oven to make it “stale”. Yeah, I was a dummy.
That’s not so dumb! If you want to start out with dry bread so it will stand up to the process of making dressing, drying it in the oven is a good idea.

Growing up, my parents always used broken up pieces of dried white bread for Thanksgiving stuffing. They set the bread out on cookie trays a couple of nights ahead of time, and then it was dry for us kids to break it up on Thanksgiving morning. This is how I have always done it as an adult, too. One time I forgot to set the bread out early enough, but I figured out on Thanksgiving morning, that I could bake it in the oven to make it hard enough for breaking.

Latest posts