Baymule’s 2021 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, could I have about 12 seeds of your purple pole beans for next year? I grew some this year from Baker Creek but I don't think they were very productive.

Thanks
Mary
Sure! I have some that got too big for picking that are going to seed. I kinda didn't get in the garden while the grandkids and dogs were here. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled and shucked all the Painted Mountain corn yesterday. Some was moldy, some was starting to sprout. Pigs enjoyed it. Rain and more rain, naturally when I needed sunshine! But I still got a LOT of beautiful corn. I have some on the table and some in washtubs to finish drying.
What beautiful colors! And it makes the best cornbread!

9463126E-4AE8-46A7-9A9B-23CAD27FE695.jpeg

3341E04F-1AC8-48E3-8A5F-8F2C53AB3CE2.jpeg

2BD2ED35-F8BB-4CEC-915A-CA4244EE67B9.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I pulled and shucked all the Painted Mountain corn yesterday. Some was moldy, some was starting to sprout. Pigs enjoyed it. Rain and more rain, naturally when I needed sunshine! But I still got a LOT of beautiful corn. I have some on the table and some in washtubs to finish drying.

love it! :) how long before it is dry enough to go into more permanent storage? do you shell it out before that or leave it on the cob until you're ready to use it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s about half dry. It may take a couple of weeks to fully dry. Then I shell, using the ol’ thumbs, put in gallon zip lock bags and put in freezer to kill any bugs. After about a week, I take it out, I’ve separated out the colors before to see if I’d get red or pink cornbread, but it was still blue. LOL

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

View attachment 42477

View attachment 42479

View attachment 42478
They would make beautiful beads. I've never ever seen such colourful corn :)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Then I shell, using the ol’ thumbs,
Do you get blisters or raw sores? When I was a kid we'd shell field corn for the milk cow, plow horses, and to grind for corn meal. I'd hold a corn cob sort of under the thumb but really more on my palm under the thumb. I didn't use the thumb to shell corn, I'd use the fat pad under my thumb on my palm if that makes any sense to you.

That corn cob protected my skin and flesh from becoming a raw bleeding sore. You could probably use gloves but they'd wear out.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Beautiful! We grow that coen for cornmeal too and it does make blue cornbread but it tastes amazing.

So you harvest it while the plants/husks are still green?

View attachment 42477

View attachment 42479

View attachment 42478

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes using the fat pad under your thumb makes sense. On dry loose corn, you can just twist it off.