Baymule’s Farm

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
You could live temporarily in the barn till you got some other type of housing.

Mary
Here, pole sheds with living quarters are a very common thing. Tax adjusters hate it because they don’t know how to evaluate them-pole shed or living quarters….. Now it’s hard to get it past zoning laws

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here, pole sheds with living quarters are a very common thing. Tax adjusters hate it because they don’t know how to evaluate them-pole shed or living quarters….. Now it’s hard to get it past zoning laws
Metal Barndominiums are the going thing here. Tax collectors definitely know how to put the tax whammy on them. Insurance upped the value of my metal roof by $7,000, sure hope the little sawed off runt, cocky tax accessor doesn’t do the same.

Out in the county, there are no rules. Don’t have to get a permit to build a house. For a long time it was a catch me if you can attitude, sometimes years before the tax man caught on. Now they fly over taking pictures.

A friend of mine dug a basement with 2 bedrooms, bathroom and kitchen, then built the house on top. Shhhhh…….. basement isn’t on the tax roll.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A friend brought that as a gift several years ago.

We sit at the kitchen table often and have tea/coffee. Our home was built over a century ago and, while small, it has high ceilings. Above the paneling in the kitchen, a previous owner had a local artist paint an outdoor scene, trees, mountains, lakes, horses, an elk.

The friend thought that picture was a good fit. I hung it where he easily sees it from his usual position at the table. (He also brought us a cookie jar, once :D.)

Steve
View attachment 59882
I love this painting. The bay mare on the right looks like my "Calliope" (RIP).

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Lots of people here in the Northeast will begin home construction with a cellar hole and live there for a winter until they can continue construction. Also renovated wood frame barns converted to living quarters are a thing here, and tiny houses are a popular option because building permits/zoning regulations are less onerous or even non-existent.