Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day is dawning, the fields look white. I guess it’s frost. Glad I’m getting this burning done now. Frosted grass dries out and is a fire hazard. I usually don’t burn in the winter, just fall and spring when it greens up.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I started outside at 8:30. I started building a fire on a big stump, it’s not tall, but it’s 3-4 feet across and it’s in my way. I added wood to the fire all day. It burned down deep and was smoldering when I called it a day.

IMG_5310.jpeg

I loaded the bucket on my tractor. Same as day before yesterday, push pile to loosen up the wood from the briars, vines and grass. Lower bucket, put tractor in neutral, throttle down, get off, load wood in bucket, get back on tractor, raise bucket, throttle up, put in medium speed, go dump on fire.

IMG_5321.jpeg

Neighbor Chase came over at 9:30 with his much bigger tractor. He pushed up the fire and pushed several big chunks that my tractor couldn’t move. Just too big and heavy for Marigold! Then he loaded more big chunks and dumped on the fire.

IMG_5313.jpeg

IMG_5316.jpeg

IMG_5314.jpeg

I think he was having fun. He left at noon and I worked on that pile until after 5.

The.
Wood.
Pile.
Is.
All.
Gone

IMG_5323.jpeg

The pile is still burning, I sure hope the stump is burnt down and gone.

I’m so glad to have this done. I thought it would take 3 days, did it in 2. I’m tired. My back is sore, arms are sore, neck is sore, my feel good hurts! Hahaha!

This is the fire last night, I took the picture from my porch.
IMG_5325.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been wrecking out chicken coops this week. What a mess. Bennett built them with whatever he had. Then he drove a thousand nails in , wire wrapped everything and tied it with baling string.

IMG_5366.jpeg

I used 2 wrecking bars, 22 ounce framing hammer, bolt cutters and pliers.

There was 3 treated 10’x2x4’s I wanted. It took some doing, but I got ‘em. In case anybody wants to know, I’m not too fond of 4” ring shank nails..

IMG_5368.jpeg

I banged my head too many times on the door header before I finally beat it off with the hammer.

IMG_5367.jpeg

I’ve got my work cut out for me. Right now I’m mining the coops for building materials so I can go construct equally ugly crappy Pallet Palaces for the sheep. LOL

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5370.jpeg

And in the coops are bucket nest boxes. They too are nailed, wired and hay string tied in place. Bennett made hanging feeders from cranberry juice jugs, good idea, but they are garbage now!

I stopped for lunch, then I hauled this crap to the dumpster.

IMG_5371.jpeg

Chase brought me 4 more pallets. Let’s see, I got 4 pallets, three 10’x2x4’s,- couple of 8’x2x4’s and 2 pieces of 12’ R panels. I ought to be able to expand my Pallet Palaces with that!

I’m trying to make better accommodations for my sheep. It’s obvious that I won’t get a barn built anytime soon. Unlike my Pallet Palaces, when I put up a barn, it will be permanent and I want it to be nice. Nice to look at, nice for them to take cover in from heat, cold and rain.

Plans are to accumulate enough power poles to set, level, and enough treated 2x6’s to go around the top and bottom to secure the poles. Next will be the roof. Since bare metal roofs sweat and drip, I’ll pile up 1/2” plywood and radiant heat barrier and 2x4’s for lath strips, and R panels, to get the roof on. Then the same thing for the back and sides. The heat barrier is imperative to block the ferocious heat and give dogs and sheep a cool place to rest in the heat of the day.

So that’s my plans. It may take me awhile, but I’ll get it done. Then I’ll build another one to provide shelter for the middle and back fields.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I see I had a right to be worried about you. I thought since you hadn't updated in a week you were either doing something extremely exhausting, or had gotten sick. I'm glad it was the former, but very sorry about all the work.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I’ve been wrecking out chicken coops. What a mess. Bennett built them with whatever he had. Then he drove a thousand nails in , wire wrapped everything and tied it with baling string.

IMG_5366.jpeg

I used 2 wrecking bars, 22 ounce framing hammer, bolt cutters and pliers.

There was 3 treated 10’x2x4’s I wanted. It took some doing, but I got ‘em. In case anybody wants to know, I’m not too fond of 4” ring shank nails..

IMG_5368.jpeg

I banged my head on that door header before I finally got smart enough to knock it off.

IMG_5367.jpeg

I’ve got my work cut out for me. Right now I’m mining the coops for building materials so I can go construct equally ugly crappy Pallet Palaces for the sheep. LOL

IMG_5369.jpeg

IMG_5370.jpeg

And in the coops are bucket nest boxes. They too are nailed, wired and hay string tied in place. Bennett made hanging feeders from cranberry juice jugs, good idea, but they are garbage now! I took them to the dumpster.

IMG_5371.jpeg

Neighbor Chase brought me 4 more pallets. Let’s see, I got 4 pallets, three 10’x2x4’s,- couple of 8’x2x4’s and 2 pieces of 12’ R panels. I ought to be able to expand my Pallet Palaces with that!.

I’m trying to make better accommodations for my sheep. It’s obvious that I won’t get a barn built anytime soon. Unlike my Pallet Palaces, when I put up a barn, it will be permanent and I want it to be nice. Nice to look at, nice for them to take cover in from heat, cold and rain.

Plans are to accumulate enough power poles to set, level, and enough treated 2x6’s to go around the top and bottom to secure the poles. Next will be the roof. Since bare metal roofs sweat and drip, I’ll pile up 1/2” plywood and radiant heat barrier and 2x4’s for lath strips, and R panels, to get the roof on. Then the same thing for the back and sides. The heat barrier is imperative to block the ferocious heat and give dogs and sheep a cool place to rest in the heat of the day.

So that’s my plans. It may take me awhile, but I’ll get it done. Then I’ll build another one to provide shelter for the middle and back fields.