Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm so glad you are OK.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
I count my Blessings. Not a good day, heavy heart over the loss of animals. But no major damage, and for that I’m grateful.

Dandelion is sleeping in my lap and all is ok in my world.

IMG_4204.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had to take truck to Lufkin to body shop this morning. Peggy brought me back. Then I went to Crockett to renew my drivers license. No idea where my birth certificate is, had to go to courthouse and get a copy. Back to DMV, barely passed eye test, got my picture made, done. Wasn’t home long, body shop called, truck was ready. Got another neighbor to take me. Now wait on insurance. Put Cooper and his girls up, turned out the ewe crew and put horse on driveway to graze. Since it’s so late, 4:00, I’ll let them graze awhile before I feed. I’ve been on the run all day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Son bought trusses that span 40’ the last time he was in. He got us each a set. The trusses will eventually be put up on the 40’ shipping containers I don’t have yet, to make the big barn. Also eventually, lean-to’s will come off both outside sides to make a sheep barn and trailer/equipment parking.

So he needed to unload the trusses because he wants to go buy a 10’ bush hog. Didn’t want to drop them on the ground to lay in mud and rust. When we were walking through the front field, discussing the small barn, he spied the pile of pine logs that came from the one fence line I’m trying to get cleaned up. Perfect for laying the trusses on! So he loaded up a couple of them and took to his house.

IMG_4257.jpeg

IMG_4259.jpeg

IMG_4261.jpeg

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry about your recent poor weather. :(
It will be ok. Insurance adjuster is coming a week from Friday to look at the roof. It will get fixed, truck hood and top of cab will get painted. I cooked a couple of those chickens for the dogs, deboned, mixed with rice, and top their kibble with it. Roll with life’s punches.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had a lamb born yesterday evening. Ewe ran in the lot with its head hanging out, when I went to feed. She plopped down and tried to push it out. She is a first timer and was tired. She is also wild, have never been able to calm her down. The lambs eyes were bugged out, looked like it had been hanging out for awhile. I thought it might be dead. I got a grip on its front feet, she jumped up to run away from me. I let her do the tugging and out it came. It was up in just a few minutes, looking for milk. She didn’t know what to think of this ugly, goop covered THING and backed away. She’d give it a couple of licks, lamb tried to find milk and she moved away.

My son and I tried to get her in a shelter with the lamb, but she wasn’t having it. I let all the other sheep out of the lot, back on the field. She ran in the chute and I dropped the gate. Son put the lamb in with her. Son wound up having to pin her against the fence, while I held the nipple out for the lamb to find. It’s a ram lamb, and he latched on, for his first meal.

I went out before it got dark and pinned her against the fence for the lamb to suck. She ran to the other end and finally stood for the lamb to suck. He’s a big lamb. She is registered and was with my old ram Ringo when he died. I’m real excited to have this lamb!

IMG_4268.jpeg

IMG_4269.jpeg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Had a lamb born yesterday evening. Ewe ran in the lot with its head hanging out, when I went to feed. She plopped down and tried to push it out. She is a first timer and was tired. She is also wild, have never been able to calm her down. The lambs eyes were bugged out, looked like it had been hanging out for awhile. I thought it might be dead. I got a grip on its front feet, she jumped up to run away from me. I let her do the tugging and out it came. It was up in just a few minutes, looking for milk. She didn’t know what to think of this ugly, goop covered THING and backed away. She’d give it a couple of licks, lamb tried to find milk and she moved away.

My son and I tried to get her in a shelter with the lamb, but she wasn’t having it. I let all the other sheep out of the lot, back on the field. She ran in the chute and I dropped the gate. Son put the lamb in with her. Son wound up having to pin her against the fence, while I held the nipple out for the lamb to find. It’s a ram lamb, and he latched on, for his first meal.

I went out before it got dark and pinned her against the fence for the lamb to suck. She ran to the other end and finally stood for the lamb to suck. He’s a big lamb. She is registered and was with my old ram Ringo when he died. I’m real excited to have this lamb!

View attachment 57134

View attachment 57135
Congratulations 🎊 👏

That sounds like a really tough job. Good work

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It is tough at times. I love what I do and I pile into situations where I just get plain filthy dirty, a shower takes it all away. Loss is always hard, but it’s a part of it. The old saying goes, If you have livestock, you get dead stock. That little lamb last night looked dead, but hit the ground and was up In moments looking for milk. Already been out to check on him this morning, his mom is still unsure and acting stupid. I’ll leave them penned up a few days so she can figure it out.

My sheep have names, most are tame, some are downright pests, pawing my leg for attention. I never wear shorts, always blue jeans. I have a hoof bruise on my cheek, and I don’t mean on my face, where a 4 month old ewe tried to climb up my back. That’s a little too friendly!

I do a lot of my own veterinary work, can’t afford to run them to the vet for every little thing. My next assignment is to learn how to draw blood, restrain the sheep, pull head back, exposing the jugular, insert needle and fill syringe with blood. An old friend I haven’t seen in near 30 years is a vet tech, and she will teach me. There are various diseases that I want to test yearly for, to assure prospective buyers that I have a clean flock. The test runs $20 if I send it in, over $50 if the vet does it, plus loading them up and driving truck and trailer to the vet’s office. Currently I have 22 head of breeding stock, plus 3 young ewes I’m keeping to breed next year, plus 2 registered ewes I’m picking up tomorrow, also to breed next year, that’s 27. Times $55 and it adds up quick! So add another procedure to my box of magic tricks—coming up!