Baymule’s Farm

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are you going to keep it as a breeder then?
That’s the plan. I will access him as he grows.
I have 2 more ewes that were with him. One looks pregnant, the other one is a coin toss. So I have 1 more chance, possibly 2, to get another registered ram from my dear Ringo.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
That’s the plan. I will access him as he grows.
I have 2 more ewes that were with him. One looks pregnant, the other one is a coin toss. So I have 1 more chance, possibly 2, to get another registered ram from my dear Ringo.
I'm really excited for you! What makes a good ram? What are you looking for conformation wise? I'm very familiar with dog, chicken, and horse conformation but don't know a thing about sheep.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A long straight back, (lamb chops) full hind legs, good shoulders, not pinched together but not so wide that a ewe has to have help giving birth. A good hair coat, sheds winter wool completely. For me, a good disposition, that is a must.

The first lamb born here, last year, was so good looking that even my neighbor, cattleman all his life, commented on him. He was reserved at birth by the tree cutter guy.

I’m going this morning to buy 2 weaned registered ewes. They will be ready to breed next year or at the end of this year. I’m pretty excited. That will give me 7 registered ewes, plus Aerial, born here in January for a total of 8.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new girls. They are in quarantine in the front yard. Carson is not a Livestock Guard Dog, but he does pretty good. He doesn’t chase sheep and barks at perceived danger and predators.

IMG_4274.jpeg

IMG_4273.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My new girls. They are in quarantine in the front yard. Carson is not a Livestock Guard Dog, but he does pretty good. He doesn’t chase sheep and barks at perceived danger and predators.

View attachment 57176

View attachment 57177

i just wrote "happy ewe ears" on SS to your note about going to get them and there they are already! :) glad you had safe trips.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of things in the works. First thing to do is widen the driveway entrance. It is a narrow, sharp 90degree turn off the road I live on, which takes a sharp 90 degree turn right opposite my driveway. Anything over a 20’ trailer isn’t gonna make that turn into my driveway. Son has to go around the bend and go turn around in a neighbor’s place and then it’s a straight shot into my driveway. Leaving, he has to take the straight shot down the road to the neighbor’s to turn around, then come back and make the turn in the road.
The county will set a culvert and add it onto the inadequate one I already have, I just have to buy the culvert. There are 2 mailboxes at the end of my driveway, mine and somebody else’s. By Federal law, I cannot move the other mailbox.
The other mailbox goes to the land locked properly behind me. Bennet’s grandfather gave access to the great grandfather of the present owner, many, many years ago, thus the private road that is my address also. It’s a real screwy set up. Bennet still owns the land on the north side of me, where the private road is.

Nobody lives there, but a cousin of the owner used to live in the run down house and still gets mail in this mailbox. She shows up periodically to get her mail. I got her phone number from Peggy and spoke to her, explaining the situation. She called her cousin and told him. Cousin the owner doesn’t get mail here. She called me back, gave me his number, I called him. He lives in Houston and rarely comes up here. We chatted.

Upshot is, he’s going to call the Kennard Post Office on Monday and see if he can “hire” a local contractor ( me) to move the mailbox. If that’s agreeable to Federal law, then I can move the mailbox.

Are y’all with me so far? This story to be continued………

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are y’all with me so far? This story to be continued………

laughs, lots of...

around here we don't even have a mailbox because they were getting destroyed too often (a local kid for many years had a real delinquency problem along with run-ins with the neighbors so he'd go around and beat up people's mailboxes if he even thought you liked the neighbors he had a beef with - he's now gone from the area and mailboxes are a lot safer).

with recent rates for the yearly PO Box getting rediculous i'd have put one up years ago but Mom still owns the place so what she wants rules... no mailbox for us.

Latest posts