Baymule's 2016 Garden

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are Goldrush Zucchini, @ninnymary , a little scarred from the stone mulch they grow in ...

Goldrush -
sounds appropriate for someone in your neck of the woods, don't you think?

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Steve, tell me more about Goldrush. Is it easy to grow? Small bush type? High producer? I love the color.

I'm also trying to find a zucchini or yellow squash that is not prickly. I'm growing Dark Star zucchini this year. Seeds of Change says it has spineless stalks but that's not true.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's an All America Selections winner! The golden yellow color is sure pretty. The plants are easy to pick from and I have been pleased with how productive they are.

Quite a few catalog outfits have the Gold Rush seed but I see that Home Depot does too. Maybe you should try it - this year!

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's an All America Selections winner! The golden yellow color is sure pretty. The plants are easy to pick from and I have been pleased with how productive they are.

Quite a few catalog outfits have the Gold Rush seed but I see that Home Depot does too. Maybe you should try it - this year!

Steve
Great, I'll check Home Depot tomorrow.

Do you know of any that are spineless? I hate those prickly leaves and squash. :eek:
Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary, Ambassador is my green zucchini ... for a long time :).

Upright characteristic. About all these two have going for them in the "ease of picking" column is that - they hold their leaves high. So, I may not have as much trouble with missing them.

They are 30+ year old varieties and the spineless types may be newer than that.

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suit up in blue jeans (regular attire) gloves and a long sleeved denim shirt to pick squash. It is punishment in Texas heat!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is punishment Bay. If it's going to be a warm day, I dress in shorts and a tank top. My gloves are short (Atlas brand) so my arms and legs are exposed. No matter how careful I am, I'm always touching those spines.

Steve, is Ambassador spineless? Sounds like it's not since it's an old variety.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fedco and several others have a Spineless Beauty that is supposed to be similar to Ambassador. Spineless Beauty ... ha! ... great name, huh?

Fedco also has a golden zucchini, Sebring. It's supposed to be "nearly" spineless.

Do you have trouble with cucumbers, Mary? Peach fuzz? Mom didn't like peach fuzz ... but, I doubt if it caused a rash.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
We don't eat many cucumbers and I tried growing them once only to get 2 small ones. Not worth tying up my real estate for. So is Ambassador spineless? You're keeping me in suspense!

I'm also not crazy about peach fuzz. That's why I don't eat fresh peaches. But I do LOVE peach cobbler! :) In fact, I'm going to make one this afternoon. The heck with my diet.

Mary

Latest posts