Baymule's 2017 Garden Thread

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I picked tomatoes today!

View attachment 20451

The three rows on the left are Cherokee Purple. The row on the right has 4 German Johnson and the fluted ones are Rosso Sicialan. All the ones in the middle are Sleeping Lady. The very back, on the pink table are more Rosso Sicilian and Tommy Toes.

I think this one is going to make a gardener!!

View attachment 20452

The baby is beautiful but the tomatoes :th

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
wow Bay hope it makes up for the disappointment of your 1st year. You know what they say about gardens 1st year they sleep 2nd year they creep 3rd year they leap. Do you have a lot of customers or is it mostly going to be eaten by your family?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have a few egg customers, it just about pays for the feed. We feed our chickens a non GMO feed that costs $51.90 for two 50 pound bags. They eat 4 bags a month. It is twice the price of regular laying pellets. Our eggs are priced at $4 a dozen. So when I have anything extra to sell, I just take it with me on our egg route. I've been selling wild plum jelly and peach jam-a few jars here and there, enough to pay for the sugar and jars.

Most of the garden is for us, but I will sell some to our customers. I checked tomato prices yesterday at Walmart and it was $1.88 to $1.98 a pound. So we'll price ours at $3.00 a pound. We'll see how it goes. I plan on canning a lot of them.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy we have a few egg customers, it just about pays for the feed. We feed our chickens a non GMO feed that costs $51.90 for two 50 pound bags. They eat 4 bags a month. It is twice the price of regular laying pellets. Our eggs are priced at $4 a dozen. So when I have anything extra to sell, I just take it with me on our egg route. I've been selling wild plum jelly and peach jam-a few jars here and there, enough to pay for the sugar and jars.

Most of the garden is for us, but I will sell some to our customers. I checked tomato prices yesterday at Walmart and it was $1.88 to $1.98 a pound. So we'll price ours at $3.00 a pound. We'll see how it goes. I plan on canning a lot of them.
I appreciate the fact that you price a premium product at a fair price vs low balling. If I have to give them away, I will GIVE them to whoever I want.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is a beautiful baby, I see that having pretty granddaughters is sort of a trend with you. And your tomatoes are pretty WOWy too! That fluted tomato is pretty,what's the DTM on them?

DTM is 80 days. I'm still looking for a paste tomato that I just have to have. I think it is pretty too! We'll see what kind of sauce it makes!

http://www.rareseeds.com/rosso-sicilian-tomato/

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have grown the biggest tomatoes this year that I ever have. The Cherokee Purple tomatoes are HUGE.
IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yesterday I canned tomatoes. This year, I am growing the biggest, prettiest tomatoes I have ever grown! I canned Cherokee Purple tomatoes into spaghetti sauce using @w_r_ranch recipe and got 6 pints. I canned the Rosso Sicilian into sauce and got 4 pints. I poured the water off both batches and canned that tomato water for cooking water and got 6 pints. I use the tomato water for cooking beans and such.

img_1879-jpg.3482

Latest posts