Baymule's 2018 Garden

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bay, do you think we might have an early frost since we had such a late frost this year? We lost a whole month of growth due to that late frost. We went from cold to hot in a matter of a couple of weeks. Just seems like to me the weather patterns are starting to change just a bit.

I plan on planting some fall carrots. I think it just gets too hot here for spring carrots. I've been buying organic carrots and canning them for the winter. They taste 100% better than the carrots you buy in a can.

A lot of plants need to be grown in full sun. I don't believe they mean full sun in Texas. I've found a little afternoon shade helps mine greatly in the summer.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
A lot of plants need to be grown in full sun. I don't believe they mean full sun in Texas. I've found a little afternoon shade helps mine greatly in the summer.
Yeah, full sun in Texas means under a heat lamp! ;) I don't think we'll have a hard killing frost any earlier than normal. Normal can be October or November.

@Nyboy there are LOTS of wholesale nurseries in this area and a lot of them grow in greenhouses with plastic and heat in the winter and shade cloth in the summer. Yes, I think shade cloth would help extend the growing season.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm cooking kohlrabi out of the garden for supper tonight. I tried a piece of the bulb, raw. Reminded me of a radish without the heat. The leaves I chopped up, rinsed and added to the butter, onions and kohl bulb. While they were sitting the colander draining, they smelled like a stale dish cloth. :rolleyes:

I'll let ya know how they tasted.

IMG_5909.JPG

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm cooking kohlrabi out of the garden for supper tonight. I tried a piece of the bulb, raw. Reminded me of a radish without the heat. The leaves I chopped up, rinsed and added to the butter, onions and kohl bulb. While they were sitting the colander draining, they smelled like a stale dish cloth. :rolleyes:

I'll let ya know how they tasted.

View attachment 26805

people keep saying things like this like it is supposed to mean anything to me.... :) i'll try about any vegetable at least once (same with almost any cheese). almost all of them i like, even the ones that smell like stale dish clothes or old smelly socks...

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well dang Bay! I posted my previous post on your thread, not mine!!! :oops:

Granddaughter did NOT like it! Daughter liked the greens but not the bulb. I thought it all tasted good. DH has yet to try it since he is working late.

If DH likes it, I may grow more next year. It does take up a bit of room, but grows very well here.

Latest posts