Baymule's 2018 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was confused for a bit but when you said purple hulls I understand. Those things should keep bearing really well. I could not see you harvesting green peas this time of the year.
Ridge.....Ridge…..Ridge...…. you KNOW where I live! How did you think English peas this time of year? Confused? Did you hit your head or get geographically turned around when you moved? :lol::lol::lol:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Picked the rest of the pea patch in the rain today while DH was inside shelling. It was mostly a drizzle, but a few times I had to run for the house to keep from getting drenched. I changed jeans twice and wore a thick hoodie to at least keep the top half of me dry. With what we shelled last night, we got 1 bushel and 2 1/2 pounds. We have the bushel sold, @Ridgerunner, i'll freeze the couple pounds we have extra.

The pea patch is picked clean, a few blooms are showing, the stems will bloom, make peas and we will be off and running again.

Split pea soup? I googled it. It is green, so must be made with a green pea. Ahem......these are SOUTHERN peas. Purple hull peas to be exact. We generally cook them with bacon, ham, ham hocks and we don't call it soup, it's just how we cook them.

Those green peas can't take the heat, they will grow in early spring, but die pretty quick when it gets hot. In the South, those are called English peas.

I took a shower and put on pajamas when I came in. I helped my husband finish shelling the peas. Now I have a leg of lamb in the oven and ………. PEAS simmering on the stove. I'll make a salad and for dessert, watermelon.

do the sheep eat the shells?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I hear "peas" I automatically think of those green peas. It never crossed my mind that you meant to say black-eyed peas, something totally different. So considering where you are I was very confused.

i have a southern gardener penpal who uses peas vs. english peas too. i always have to remind myself he's talking cowpeas/fieldpeas.

Latest posts