Baymule's 2018 Garden

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It is the rainy season for you, the ground is soft. Get T-posts and a driver, slam them in place. (for those who don't know, RUNuts has 2 seasons, WET and DRY) :lol: Why on earth would you want to dig a post hole? :th

My tomato trellis is awesome, idea came from @Ridgerunner. It is cow panels and T-posts, easy and simple. I ran a double row.
That post pounder saved us!!! Such a good investment and wow does the noise get the turkeys wound up!

pippomky75

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The T-posts for the tomato trellis don't have to be that tall. I used to use 4' long ripped 2x4's (2x2's) but switched to T-posts when I found out how much easier they are. The initial price threw me off but since they are so re-usable it's an investment, not an expense. I tie the tops of my cow panels together with a piece of wood so the two sides act as a unit, makes them a lot stronger. Tying them together keeps the wind from blowing them over.

View attachment 23666

I'd never heard of a T-post puller, now I know what I'm getting for Christmas. I'd always used a homemade one with a chain and an iron bar. I grew up where you dug fence posts by hand and used wooden posts. And you cut and trimmed those wooden posts with an ax. I'm late to learning about T-posts. Some of this newfangled stuff is really convenient.

One advantage of that gumbo muck is that you are not going to hit any rocks when driving T-posts. One disadvantage of that gumbo muck is that you can't find a rock to kill a poisonous snake. I lived on gumbo muck with some fill over it for over 30 years in South Louisiana. There is no sweet spot for digging a post hole. Either it is dry and like concrete or it's so sticky you are constantly trying to clean your digger. Think clay on steroids.

check out this smart fella and his home made post puller...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@pippomky75 We are going to raise our cow panels up off the ground. After a couple of years, the cardboard, feedsacks and compost layers have built up and are covering the bottom of the panel. We used 7' T-posts, and we are going to go to the top of the T-posts with the cow panels. It will make it easier to put the cardboard in the rows.

Low tonight of 14F Will be below freezing several more days.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn :plbb

These are the last of 2017 tomato. We picked green ones before hard freeze first of December and put them in the window. While they aren't the greatest, they're still better than store bought.

IMG_2289.JPG

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule snow balls are better than store bought tomatoes.....

For all the newbies, about now you should understand how mean these southerners are. Always bragging with pix, their tomatoes....... you don’t see us showing them tomato pix in January....... no, we are considerate of others feelings....

Latest posts