Baymule's 2018 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@seedcorn I pull it out of the garden and toss to the pigs, when I have them, or take to the sheep or chickens. I planted a few clumps in a pasture and it is making some pretty grass.

Mary, shade cloth would require a frame to support it, tying it to 4 corners probably wouldn't work.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a few stalks with silks showing! Won’t be long now!

7DCA7687-8DEA-4A1F-A3B3-971686D86FA7.jpeg

This variety of purple hull peas is called Top Crop. It sends up stalks and no more hunting for peas laying on the ground. Won’t be long before we’ll be picking peas.

FF029457-D249-4CC3-8317-9D4C450EB3CF.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule top crop are beans or peas? i've seen something similar in passing noted for beans, but i'm not sure they were actually beans.

if i can ever find beans like that it would be fun to have them in the breeding lines as i would sure love to have more beans not ending up dragging in the dirt.

MatthewsHomestead

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Im learning quite a bit from following through your process! Going to start collecting cardboard! Do you think horse poo would do good too? Or too much grass seed in it?

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule top crop are beans or peas? i've seen something similar in passing noted for beans, but i'm not sure they were actually beans.

if i can ever find beans like that it would be fun to have them in the breeding lines as i would sure love to have more beans not ending up dragging in the dirt.
These are purple hull peas.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Im learning quite a bit from following through your process! Going to start collecting cardboard! Do you think horse poo would do good too? Or too much grass seed in it?
We have 3 horses and I use the manure. Grass seed? Ha! My garden is already loaded with weed seeds. I can grow some bodacious lamb's quarters, giant ragweed, poor joe, crab grass, pig weed, wild sunflowers and creeping Charlie. So what's a few weed seeds from horse manure? Oh, I let the black eyed susan wild flowers grow, I even went around them with the cardboard. I have been known to just turn in the sheep in the fall. The picture of the pea patch, those peas are growing in horse manure. We just scraped it up in the horse lot and dumped it directly on the garden. Did not pass GO! Did not collect $200, did not compost it. Just dumped, spread and planted. The wonderful thing is, we have had a couple weeks of 100 degree plus heat, the horse manure holds water and we only have to water once a week. Last year, we spread a lot of wood chip mulch in the horse lot and barn to hold down the dust. We also feed round bales in the horse lot, so there was lots of rotted hay, rotted wood chips and manure, both rotted and fresh. Great Stuff!

These pictures were taken in October 2016. Now with all the cardboard and mulch in the garden, I won't turn the sheep in anymore. It doesn't look this bad any more, we have about half the garden in cardboard.

Garden 2016 sheep 2.JPG

Yes! There really is a sheep in here! LOL LOL

Garden 2016 sheep.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts