Baymule's 500 Pound Boar!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
meat == muscle but muscle without any exercise may not have much of what we might consider texture, so would it be more like veal? dunno... perhaps they'll have to wire it up and shock it to get it to twitch like a frog muscle on a dissecting pan.

my concerns with this would be similar to what i have about aquaculture/hydroponics where they aren't raising plants in dirt. so perhaps there are no trace nutrients you may be getting from normal foods. perhaps that deficiency doesn't show up until 20yrs later in some indirect fashion or maybe it may be even better if there are no viruses and other gunk/diseases/etc in there? who knows at this point... i suspect we'll be finding out and having recalls from this process too eventually. life can be pretty tenacious and people/processes can make mistakes.

i much prefer to get my food from things i grow or from people i know, at least i have a chance to avoid the worst excesses.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wilbur as pulled pork, was the hit of the party. Instead of asking if anybody wanted pulled pork, I asked if anybody wanted to bite Wilbur. We left some with the hosts of the party and brought a little home. The party was fun, food was good and everybody had a good time. We had some friends spend the night and today I taught her how to make bread. We made rosemary focaccia bread, dinner rolls and cinnamon rolls. I sent them home with most of what was left after we ate all we could. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We have just about wiped out Wilbur. Still have a freezer shelf stacked full of pork chops. No pan sausage left. Got tired of pork shoulder and ham steaks, so I thawed them out, had 52 pounds. Been making sausage and stuffing it, DH smoked it. Dang! It sure smelled and tasted good!

37517621-9A19-4BBB-B45A-5511BF60408A.jpeg

It took us 3 days to grind the meat, stuff it in casings (me) and smoke it (DH). Since our son in law gets indigestion real bad from wood smoked meat, I made him fresh sausage.

My first attempt at collagen casings. They had a blow out.
C2D76B0F-24C5-4A49-9FAC-7899CBC4783B.jpeg

I wanted to make breakfast sausage, tried again on the collagen casings. Well those looked stupid! There must be a way to make sausage with those, but whatever magic process that is, I don’t know what it is. I cooked these. We were not impressed.

82A02B95-596F-4975-83FA-DB7E6BC5053E.jpeg

So I tried again, using no casing. I liked that better, cooked some and they didn’t blow up.

0E136963-8E29-4A12-B25B-E4928A153D8E.jpeg

That worked so I made 200 of them, layered between wax paper. I froze them, then peeled the wax paper off, bagged 10 to the package and vacuum sealed them. We like these breakfast sausage too!

25EC024A-57DD-4787-8FE5-4AECAC19E32D.jpeg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i want a big chunk of pork butt so i can make some fresh sausage. it was on sale this week too, but i think i missed the sale...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I could shoot one for ya' but shipping might be a problem.....maybe not, ain't it freezing up there? :lol:

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Do you have the wild ones running everywhere?
Oh yeah! A neighbor got one in a trap and offered her to me. I told him I had plenty of pork, shoot her and bring her to me. He doesn't know how to do the "survival" stuff. he actually called another neighbor to come shoot her. LOL LOL He brought me a dead pig, a nice little red one, which told me she was at least half domestic, she was about 60 pounds. I skinned, gutted and quartered her, dropped the pieces in a bag and sent him home. he and his wife are both on disability, poor health and just poor. That meat went to good use.

Latest posts