berries or trees?

valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
I will look for photo. Ours is only 1 panel. Which way are you thinking it bends? View attachment 26276

As you have ~ that look pretty good ~ our arbor at the folks ranch was ~ wood ~ quite wide with a long table and room to walk outside of the benches ~ there was room to do Shish Kebob in the metal wheelbarrow at the end ~ those were the days my friend ```

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
made some delicious jam from a peach tree local to me some years ago that some friends were growing. heavy snow broke it and it is no more.

they had to spray it for bugs. it was a whiter peach than what you see in the canned cling type, but very tasty and good.

i just finished my last jar of that this past year and wish they were still growing that tree. even after they'd eaten all they wanted from the tree i was able to get several five gallon buckets full of fruit. i made about 40pints of jam and another 30 pints of lemon peach sauce and a few jars of some peach butter (which was what the lemon peach sauce was going to be but i decided it was too much work to cook it all down and i liked it as it was so i just jarred it up and away i went).

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane you might want to pick @majorcatfish brain he had a fruit orchard. I put in a small one learned fast fruit trees a lot of work needing spraying all growing season.
Will be home this weekend once settled in will post , sucks not having a keyboard .....phones are nice but big fingers and little keys just dont work.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
You know... I've been wanting a little outdoor sitting area .. .maybe a small grape arbor.....

.. o_Oyeah - that'll happen about as quickly as that old swing rescue - it's STILL sitting next to the barn waiting for SOMEONE to actually show up when they say they will and help me move it.:rant
Cane you must have a freezer full of steak, invited friends and church members to BBQ at your house. Gather some of your lady friends around swing, pretend you are going to move. Man will come running over to show you how its done right. Ladies enjoy sweet tea watching men put up swing.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of men. I identify with them so they have been my best friends, because of understanding and commonality.

Women have had me wrapped around their little fingers. And, that began with Mom.

What many men most fear is being embarrassed in front of women. If there is a fair sex, there is fragile sex. Is there any wonder that they have a shorter lifespan?

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
At our 1st house we had 4 peach trees that produced like gang busters. There were boards with V notches cut into the branches because the peaches were so big, heavy and crazy good. No idea the variety, but they were soooo good.

I think strawberries is a great idea. I'd do a bed of june bearing, and a bed of everbearing. So you have strawberries to can, and fresh to snack on. Blackberries, raspberries are pretty easy keepers and lots of varieties to choose from to find what would do best for you.

Fruit trees to me are like cattle. They are a lot of work to get the finished product but when you do, you got a lot of it. So choose wisely if you're serious about them.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was at the local "little bit of everything' store this weekend and they had everbearing strawberries - a 6-pack of lovely large plants for $7. Now to get the boxes painted and get them planted ASAP.