Best Composting Tips

flowerbug

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I thought that was what blenders were for? Well that and moss milkshakes of course.
road kill is good fertilizer if you have the stomach for picking it up and burying it. i don't actively seek it out here, but if it happens on the road near our property i do go out and pick it up and bury it in a garden as i don't want to smell it all summer (or until the crows and other scavengers get it taken care of).

SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I compost squirrels mainly. I bury them inside the dripline of trees. Amino acids from protein is a big deal. So too is E-coli and some other bio-bother. I do not chase my piles so hard that I am up on a temp and time schedule for sanitation although I should be. I mean I bought a compost temp gauge. It is still shiny and new.
If I'm lucky I turn mine once. It would compost faster and cook more of the grass and weed seeds if I turned it mire often, but it still becomes compost.

I'm right there with both of you. I pile crap into my compost bins and then 6 or 8 months later pull it out and toss it in the garden or mix it into other soil for container gardening inside.

JalapenosinDelco

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If I'm lucky I turn mine once. It would compost faster and cook more of the grass and weed seeds if I turned it mire often, but it still becomes compost.
I just got out and turned mine today, even though it was crazy windy and cold. Felt good to get it done, I kept putting it off.
Needed more water and greens so it was good that I did!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't "do" compost piles. Chickens are the best composters there are! Build a coop and covered run with dirt floors. I would pick up bags of leaves in the fall and fill the run and coop about 2-3 feet deep. In no time the girls would reduce it to 6" of black crumbly garden gold.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Build a walk in coop with a dirt floor. This is a picture of my hoop run at our old house. I used 3 cow panels to make a run. For you, it would be best to put metal roofing over the hoops, but leave a strip of hardware cloth at the bottom for ventilation. Then fill it up with leaves! LOL For dogs and predators, always use hardware cloth, not chicken wire, and skirt the coop and run with 2' of wire, laid flat all around the coop and run. This prevents digging in.

IMG680.jpg

Attachments

Latest posts