Best way to cage tomatoes

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed post pix please. Something else to make me feel like slackard. Learned something.

:gig Well, I just don't happen to have pics real handy of commercial tomato farms in the area....they aren't of much interest to me, though I have bought tomatoes and hot peppers from them before in a pinch. If I ever get down that way again(a couple of counties over from me)I'll be sure and try to bring my camera.

I used to drive past these farms on my way to school over in OH for 2 long years, so got a snootful of the vista during that time. ;) Miles and miles of mater and corn farms over there along the river, on both sides.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey...scratch that. Did a search and found one....

d78ddb7cc837ea1760533cc1797b3fe6.jpg

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting. Assume hand picking?

Here, they lay on ground, machine harvested. Once and done. They go for ketchup here. Red, green, they all go at once.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I use my tomato tunnel method. It's prune, stake and tie, but it's very solid. I have never had it blown over in even the strongest storms. The tops of the stakes are bolted together, so they fold up at seasons end for storage. Each stake pair is tied to the next, and each end is anchored with a guy and tent stake.
tomatoes.JPG
tomatoes2.JPG

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Forgot to add that for Romas, I just cage them with cheap cages. Many of them fall over, but the are all ready at once, so I just pull the cage and all up to pick the tomatoes. It keeps most of them off the ground.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I use my tomato tunnel method. It's prune, stake and tie, but it's very solid. I have never had it blown over in even the strongest storms. The tops of the stakes are bolted together, so they fold up at seasons end for storage. Each stake pair is tied to the next, and each end is anchored with a guy and tent stake.
View attachment 7347 View attachment 7348

Monty, those are some sturdy, nice looking mater supports! I love it that you bolted them so they fold down for storage.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 7347 View attachment 7348

They look really nice and tidy too. :thumbsup I take it you don't have to drive them into the soil? That would make my hubby happy. After about 60 stakes, he starts to get a little annoyed with me. :rolleyes: Also, what kind of lumber did you use? Is it treated?

Latest posts