Beware-black widows like cardboard

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
I knew there was something wonderful about zone 4! Too cold for most of the really icky creepy crawlers! No poisonous snakes either (unless you go mountain climbing high in the Adirondacks.) Hoodat, would love to see some pics of your beads...
Usually I sell just the beads but I made this beach type necklace just for fun out of some of them. I use it on my homepage on ecrater. It's smoky agate at the back to be easy on the neck. The rest is tumbled shell chips, turquoise and red coral. Kind of a small pic. I lost the original so I had to lift the thumnail off my site. I occasionally aplique beads on leather purses but that takes a long time so I only do it when I'm in the mood.

6858_colpic_6.jpg

This is one of my aplique purses
6858_th_002-4.jpg

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Nice work, Hoodat!

elf

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
newchickmom09 said:
I have a black widow that loves one of our drain pipes from our gutters. I live in southern AZ so the gutters don't get used much. :rolleyes: Every year I kill one and there is always another one in a few months, so I think I get them after they lay there eggs.

I have a horror story. My 3 year old son wanted to put on his roller skates that had been sitting outside for a month or some since they skate on the back patio. We had been digging around our pond to make it bigger so there were spiders and scorpion everywhere since the pond was there haven. I put on my son's skates and off he goes. I was putting on some of that chainlink plastic strips for privacy, so I continue. About 10 minutes later my son comes walking outside to the back fence where I am at. I see him holding something. My vision isn't the best far away so it looks like he is holding a little stick. He gets about 15 feet from me and my eyes focus in and I see that little "stick" curl upward. :ep I jumped up and ran to my son and he was holding a scorpion by the end of the tail! Of course I screamed, yelled, and squished the heck out of the scorpion. I asked my son why was he holding that and he said he took it out of his roller skate! My son never got stung once the entire time and that scorpion was in his skate when I put it on him, the entire time he was skating (10 minutes), when he stuck his hand in there to see what was crawling on his foot, and when he carried it to me. Talk about a scare. :th Here we have the Arizona bark scorpions which are the most venomous in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion
Scarey, scarey! When I got stung (by whatever type scorpion we have in Ga.) , I had left my gloves in a tree, and put one on with a scorpion in the fingertip. Of course it stung me when it got smashed. I sat down on the ground and almost fainted. Fortunately, sort of, my husband still smoked and wet a cig. in a stream and applied it.I guess it drew some venom as it made me feel much better.

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
elf said:
newchickmom09 said:
I have a black widow that loves one of our drain pipes from our gutters. I live in southern AZ so the gutters don't get used much. :rolleyes: Every year I kill one and there is always another one in a few months, so I think I get them after they lay there eggs.

I have a horror story. My 3 year old son wanted to put on his roller skates that had been sitting outside for a month or some since they skate on the back patio. We had been digging around our pond to make it bigger so there were spiders and scorpion everywhere since the pond was there haven. I put on my son's skates and off he goes. I was putting on some of that chainlink plastic strips for privacy, so I continue. About 10 minutes later my son comes walking outside to the back fence where I am at. I see him holding something. My vision isn't the best far away so it looks like he is holding a little stick. He gets about 15 feet from me and my eyes focus in and I see that little "stick" curl upward. :ep I jumped up and ran to my son and he was holding a scorpion by the end of the tail! Of course I screamed, yelled, and squished the heck out of the scorpion. I asked my son why was he holding that and he said he took it out of his roller skate! My son never got stung once the entire time and that scorpion was in his skate when I put it on him, the entire time he was skating (10 minutes), when he stuck his hand in there to see what was crawling on his foot, and when he carried it to me. Talk about a scare. :th Here we have the Arizona bark scorpions which are the most venomous in the US.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arizona_bark_scorpion
Scarey, scarey! When I got stung (by whatever type scorpion we have in Ga.) , I had left my gloves in a tree, and put one on with a scorpion in the fingertip. Of course it stung me when it got smashed. I sat down on the ground and almost fainted. Fortunately, sort of, my husband still smoked and wet a cig. in a stream and applied it.I guess it drew some venom as it made me feel much better.
Those scorpians can pack a punch! Glad that your hubby was ready. ;)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hoodat, those pieces are beautiful! You mean the white bird is beads?? You have the patience of a saint! Are you finding the shells and other bits on the beach and tumbling them? You are quite an amazing person, hoo! Have you thought about writing a book about your life experiences??

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I was born and raised in the pacific northwest, and while there are lots of spiders there, they're NOTHING compared to the beasts I've encountered since moving to Texas four years ago...

I have documented more than one encounter with a spider ... here is a link to the best... :)
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/i-hate-spiders/

I laugh at it now, but at the time I was ready to pack up and MOVE north! :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
SweetMissDaisy said:
I was born and raised in the pacific northwest, and while there are lots of spiders there, they're NOTHING compared to the beasts I've encountered since moving to Texas four years ago...

I have documented more than one encounter with a spider ... here is a link to the best... :)
http://sweetmissdaisy.typepad.com/sassy_sweet_notes/i-hate-spiders/

I laugh at it now, but at the time I was ready to pack up and MOVE north! :)
Now that's funny. :gig
In the Fall tarantulas in Texas, Oklahoma and Arkansas are moving across roads looking for a good place to hibernate for the Winter. They are brown tarantulas, very large but harmless, in fact they are often found in the pet trade.
Around San Diego we have the trap door spider which is also very large but seldom seen since they hide in burrows peeking out under their trap door waiting for suitable prey to come traipsing by. :hide Fortunately for the faint of heart they avoid places where there is much human activity.

newchickmom09

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Here we have huge wolf spiders and tarantulas. Just like hoodat said...when they start moving around they just cover the dirt roads here. It sounds like you are driving over reflectors. :sick

laura0812

Sprout
Reaction score
I'm not really into spiders. Can't even recognize what kind of spider it is. However, this post made me curious of what spiders can do.

pokies

Latest posts