bread 'fail'

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom - I was looking at your recipe and saw one thing right off that may have been part of my probelm. The one I used last night called for 1pk yeast and 5-7 cups flour.

(and actually..... I didn't know that I was supposed to add the flour slowly.. thought it just went in like the other ingredients... thanks!)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What about toast? It would crisp up the doughy center and you wouldn't have to give it to the chickens. Or grilled cheese sandwich?

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, I'm waiting for you to repeat your bread, baking it at 350 degrees to see how it comes out. When will you try again?

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary, I'll probably try again this weekend. I had planned to do it tonight but - as usual - some things have come up and I won't have time.
I'm actually thinking that I will try @thistlebloom 's and (1/2) of the one from earlier, baking together to see if it was the proportions that were off or just the baking instructions. The one I tried earlier called for more flour, less yeast, more salt and less water.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, part of the reason my recipe calls for more yeast is to help it raise faster. My other bread recipes use less, but take more time to raise. Looking forward to hearing how your experiment goes this weekend !

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Good luck! There really is a steep learning curve for bread baking. Once you get it down pat, you will be able to do it with your eyes closed! Don't give up... I am with Mary- I bake 2 loaf pans for 25 minutes at 350. They come out perfect every time. Looking forward to hearing about your success!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't feel so bad.....I made a pan of cornbread one time that did not rise. At all. It was heavy, flat and round.....so we did what all Moms with a sense of humor should do....we went outside and played Frisbee with it!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, mine come out perfect because I use your recipe, temperature, and baking time. :) You were the one that inspired me to get a bread machine and now I make bread every week. I also make our hamburger buns.

Mary

Latest posts