bread 'fail'

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha! Ha! I forgot about that! Actually just gave that recipe to my sister-in-law- and she said it came out fine without a bread machine. Glad it is working out for you, Mary!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Don't feel so bad.....I made a pan of cornbread one time that did not rise. At all. It was heavy, flat and round.....so we did what all Moms with a sense of humor should do....we went outside and played Frisbee with it!!
That happened to me the first and last time I tried to bake a cake from scratch. I gave it to the dog, but even he didn't want to eat it :th

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I finished up in the yard about 8:30 or so last night. Which means that I didn't start the bread till almost 9:00. So I didn't re-do the first recipe because I got such a late start. But DID do @thistlebloom 's .......
TAA-DAA!!!!
DSCF0738.JPG

DELISH!!! YUM-OOOH!!!! And WOW did they rise!!!!!!
My intention was to make up some sandwich rolls. By the time they got done, they were nearly hanging off of my giant cookie sheet. I picked the smallest this moning and split it, loaded some chicken salad, then cut it into 3 sections. I'll be munching on that giant sandwich all day long.
I made a 'small' substitution. When I got home I realized that the milk was gone (don't you HATE when someone uses the last of anything and puts the 'almost' empty container back in the fridge/pantry!!??!!). I had about a cup of Bailey's Brown Sugar and Cinninnamon coffee creamer so I used that (gave a bit of sweetness to the bread and made the dough smell REALLY good). And I cut the baking time back 5 mins or so since I was making (or thought I was making) several small loaves instead of a couple of big ones. Worked out good. The bread is about 1/2 whole wheat and 1/2 unbleached. Turned out JUST a bit on the dense side (which I like), nice crust, just lovely all around!!!
THANK YOU!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glad everything worked out for you. You sure made a lot of bread though! Bread freezes really well. You can make it on the weekends and freeze for use during the week.

Mary

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
THAT is good to know. I didn't realize it would make SO MUCH! They're sitting in the oven right now so the cats won't nibble on them while I'm gone. I'll vac them up and freeze them when I get home.
.... Just thought... 'hope my roommate doesn't use the oven without checking ... probably ought to send a text.... :rolleyes:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
@canesisters Those loaves look wonderful! Now you just need some homemade jam to go with that.

I hear you on the almost finished products. Here it's milk... DH always manages to leave juuuuust enough milk in the sachet to justify putting it in the fridge. Anything not to have to open a new one. Or remember to take one out of the freezer...

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you! Actually, the chicken for the chicken salad was cooked using my brand spankin' new pressure cooker/canner - so that's almost as good as homemade jam. :D

Latest posts