Bread machine users?

Amyh

Sprout
Reaction score
We love our bread machine!! I mostly use it for sandwich bread, cinnamon-raisin bread and whole wheat pizza dough. I really need to branch out, but we end up using it at least once a week and love it!!

I'd love to see some of the recipes!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Journey, a friend of mine is gluten free and he uses a bread machine to make all his bread. He buys a mix that he gets at the health food store here. He adds a little flax seed, and tweeks it a bit. He says it is cheaper and much better than anything he can buy in the store.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have 3 bread machines used mostly for the dough only cycle. We sell breads at farmers markets. LOL...I line 3 bread machines up on the counter, have them process a double batch of dough each, and get 6 total loaves from the run. Usually go through that process twice on Fridays.....12 total loaves. During that time I also mixup artisan breads and use the stand mixer for others.

2 of my machines were Goodwill finds....$10 and $12. Just be sure they have a kneading blade. You can usually download missing instruction manuals free. But the replacement kneading blades sell for $20 and up.

Our local Goodwill stores give you 7 days to test anything electric and return it if it doesn't work properly.

ETA:
I have a bunch of bread machine recipes posted here:
http://www.millriverfarm.com/recipes.cfm?catname=Bread, Rolls, and Muffins

And we use the dough cycles for lots of other things - rolls, pizza dough, calzones, etc.

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is a bread I baked last Friday, its wonderfully crusty on the outside and moist and soft on the inside, its also cotton-like. This is a Portuguese Homestyle Bread. :D

I'm going to bake a nice Olive Bread and Ciabatta Bread this week. I absolutely love Olive Bread, its so good the combination of olives with bread is almost magical. The olives really give a certain saltiness and tang to the bread that goes very nicely. If anyone want's the recipe, I'll be more than happy to give it to you.

Ga Chicken Mom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Beautiful loaf Greenthumb. I bake all of our bread and use my bread machine on the dough cycle. A great place to let the loaf rise once formed is to heat some water in the microwave and place the bread pan in with the heated water. I always have the 5 minute a day dough in the fridge for rustic loaves, pizza etc. Hoodat you sure got a bargain.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have a loaf of cranberry cinnamon bread working right now. It's getting kind of late so I'll just let the machine bake it and have some for breakfast.

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Here is a bread I baked last Friday, its wonderfully crusty on the outside and moist and soft on the inside, its also cotton-like. This is a Portuguese Homestyle Bread. :D

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/5881_culinary_school_pics_314.jpg

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/5881_culinary_school_pics_314.jpg

I'm going to bake a nice Olive Bread and Ciabatta Bread this week. I absolutely love Olive Bread, its so good the combination of olives with bread is almost magical. The olives really give a certain saltiness and tang to the bread that goes very nicely. If anyone want's the recipe, I'll be more than happy to give it to you.
What a gorgeous loaf!

I would love to have the Olive Bread recipe. Olives are a dear favorite of mine.

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I make an Italian Parmesan/Herb Bread in mine....I usually serve it when I make my Lasagna. Yum!!!!:D I have an international bread recipe book for several ethnic breads, rolls, etc.... Love it!

Greenthumb18

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here you go Kim_NC and others who may want to try:

Olive Bread

- 3 Cups Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 Cup Kalamata Olives pitted, drained and roughly chopped
- 3/4 Teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 Cups cool water

Making the dough.

Drain the olives and pat them dry. Then give them a rough chop and make sure that all the olives actually dont have pits. Sometimes the pitting machines will miss one or two per jar. Be on the lookout! You dont want Broken Tooth Bread.

Mix your yeast and flour together in a large bowl and then toss in your chopped olives. The olives wont turn the bread a strange color. Then add your water and mix everything together using your hand or a large spoon.

I prefer the clean hand method myself. After just a few seconds you should have a pretty moist ball of dough. It should be very wet. You wouldnt be able to knead this even if you wanted to.

Cover this and let it sit at room temperature for 14-18 hours. I let mine sit for the full 18.

Its a big bubbly mess. Thats good. That means the yeast has done its job.
Next, take a large tea towel and sprinkle it liberally with flour and corn meal. If you dont have corn meal you can just use flour, but corn meal adds a great texture to it.

Scrape your dough out onto a floured surface and just fold it a few times, liberally flouring both sides if it is sticking. Eventually you want to form a ball or loaf with it.

Turn this onto your floured towel with the seam side down on the towel. So I flipped it so that was down on the floured towel.
Cover that towel and let the loaf ferment and proof for another two hours.

Baking the bread.

After your bread has been proofing for about 90 minutes, preheat your oven to AS HOT AS YOU CAN.

The traditional way to make no knead bread is to use a heavy enameled cast iron pot.

Assuming you do have a proper pot though, you want to get it blazing hot also. I usually let my pot heat in the oven for at least 30 minutes so it is as hot as can be. Dont preheat the lid in the oven. Just the pot itself.

Once your pot is blazing hot, pick up the towel with the dough on it and roll the dough into the pot so the seam side is up again!
If its a bit uneven thats okay. The dough will spread out and even out as it cooks.

Put the lid on the pot and cook it for 30 minutes. Then take off the lid (be really careful of escaping steam). Cook it for another 20 minutes or so until the crust is a dark, walnut brown.
Let it cool on a wire rack for an hour before slicing it.

ENJOY!!!!!!!!! ;)

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thank you so much, Greenthumb! I LOVE to make No Knead breads. I'll definitely give this one a try. :hugs

Latest posts