Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I'm just casually checking the forecast for the coming week... Cloudy, rainy, snowy, low 28, high 43 yadda yadda yadda ... :ep LOW OF NEGATIVE 17?!?! WHAT THE BLEEEEEEEP?

I kid you not that is forecasted for next Sunday night. :hit

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, it's a whole week away Heather, and just try to remember how often they're wrong..... but maybe you ought to pick up a few extra pairs of long johns, just in case! :cool:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make sure your longjohns and sweatpants are ready, have your best multiple layers of socks ready too, and get your shopping and chores done in advance, have things outside good and tarped, make sure the heater is working, and be ready with the plumbing, water dripping in the sinks, a string hanging down into the toilet valves.

Oh yea, I lived in montana 21 and a half years. Montanans don't give a badeengle what the fashion is, long as its warm enough.

Make sure you have your spare overalls ready in your vehicle, spare boots too. Car has fresh antifreeze? check! Battery is less than 3 years old in the vehicle... check! Tires good for snow? check! Old folk neighbors prepared for things? check! emergency generator and spare electric heaters good? check! Any tree branches over power lines that need cutting...you know the drill!

If the forecast says for negative 17, be ready for negative 30 a couple days later.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dang, I got so automatic with the spare overalls in the vehicle, I put both of them in it when I got it! Just thought about that! Ha! Well, it snows up here in the hills too, and I am way up a long hard dirt canyon road, but, 20 above is nothing compared to 20 below! Compared to 20 below, 20 above is BALMY!

I got my anti thyroid medicine and I already noticed cold hands for the first time in years, plus I am getting older...

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
See if your local weather service has a blog, Heather.

Yeah, it is actually a blogspot.com webpage! The local office here just started it last month. For awhile, I've followed their facebook entries just because it is easier to find some of the interesting stuff. Big in-depth news, it is in the blog! I linked the blog to my Yahoo news page!

Well, they said watch the forecast for the coming weekend very closely. They aren't sure if or how much it will change. The weather is supposed to start coming down from the NW this week - that's Alaska and that state is having some real bad storms right now.

Then, as it descends further south ~ might make it down to you Marshall (?) ~ the air is supposed to start dropping down from the NE! That means the northern Rockies & tundra beyond! Oh boy! Well, the question is: will the storms really drop that far south - it is gonna take some pull. And, whatever the case, the cold shouldn't last long. Let's see, they say, "The cold spell should be brief, with temperatures moderating by the middle of next week." We may just have a snowy weekend and that will be it.

And, there's what I do - if you pay close attention to it, it will be better. Certainly better than hard cheese. (Does anyone even say that anymore? Shoot.)

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
OMG that is TOO Cold !!!! So far we are staying near normal. Today started nice at 46 but will be windy, cold with snow rain mix at 3:00. :( Marshall has some good advice. Thanks Marshall for taking such good care of us.) :hugs

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ho! Ho! Ho! Our first snowfall of the new season. The trees are coated. The grass has been hidden by a thin blanket of white. So far, the roads are only wet, but tonight is predicted to fall to 18 degrees. Probably won't be going out very early tomorrow - if at all.

DH is getting hungry. Guess I'll whip up a batch of corn chowder for this cold day.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I spoke too soon! Red we are getting the same. Predicting 17 for the overnight low. Looks like the snow has stopped. Good. Got to drive school bus at 7:00 a.m. Ugh.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to this...

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.43127992122561&lon=-122.9661791324861#.UoFuo3azKph

...we have a 70% chance of 10 drops of rain tonight. It has clouded up lightly, and right now we're supposed to be having a 20% chance of 5 drops of rain, but alas, nary a single drop yet.

oh, and it says the temperature presently should be 66 degrees. That's over the hill at Soda Creek. My hi lo says 60.7.
(my temperature right now is the afternoon moderated downward hi. my lo temperature in the mornings are moderated up some).

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
talking 20 here tonight. i don't want to imagine anything below that this soon in the year. i haven't even looked to see what Mt Washington is saying they are at for temps/weather right now. just wish i didn't have an interview at 9am. they are predicting we might have some snow in the morning and that makes the morning commute to Portsmouth H*ll to drive with those that haven't yet got their snow legs for the season. especially frightening when you have to go from 4 lanes of traffic at the tolls down to 2 lanes to get over a bridge. i've already seen 2 days where we had some spitting snow, but nothing hit the ground and stuck for long. thank goodness for a Subaru!

ok, so Mt Washington is on the cold side of where i don't want to be. http://mountwashington.org/

Latest posts