Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Carol Dee said:
Looks like the snow has stopped. Good. Got to drive school bus at 7:00 a.m. Ugh.
God bless you! That is one job I could never handle. Not only would we never get home as long as the students were noisy, but I get the creepy-crawlies when I have students behind me. I can face the whole school with no problems, but let a couple students get in lunch line behind me and the hair on my neck stands at attention. Drive a school bus? Thank you, but no thanks! Give me a couple dozen kindergarteners with zippers, boots, and snowpants and the first snow.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, currently it is a -5f windchill on Mt. Washington. Let's just say that Mt. Washington is always astonishing!

You've got 70's and 75 highs, Marshall!?! Okay, your 6 to 10 day is "above normal" for continuing warm afternoons but "normal" for precipitation - whatever that means.

It was 51 and sunny here this afternoon! DD took me for a drive to see a lake I haven't seen in 20 years. It wasn't far but only a 400 acre lake just a mile or 2 off the beaten path. We won't have many more 50 degree afternoons.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think today was our last day of nice weather, too. It was about 60 today, but pretty windy. Tonight it is supposed to get down to about 24 with a strong north wind. It's blowing in already; the wind just blew our door open, no small feat.
I hope my chickie babies are ok out in the cold. They are about 10 weeks old now, and are protected from the wind, so should be ok.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
The Arctic front is heading our way looking like nights are going
To be in the low 20's and days 40's now that's nothing that you all getting up north
They are calling for snow tomorrow night no amounts as of this time, but sure the schools will either be
Either start late or called off. Will have too look up what the wind chill is going to be.

Dw went out and picked the last of the mature lettuce and bok choi there is other veggies out there that
Hopefully handle the 3 day cold blast. If they do,they do...

Since going out of town again for the week grabbed alarger bag
To pack winter clothes in
Stay warm everyone ......

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't know you drive a school bus, Carol. My FIL used to and he loved the job. :)

Oh, it's much too early to be that cold, Heather! We need a few normal winter days to ease us into it first. This has started out as a weird winter for us too. We got a freeze before we ever got our first frost. We must really be in for it this year! :p I don't think I've ever seen it get down as low as -17 here. I can't imagine...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wearing a short sleeved T-shirt here......... :cool:

But if it makes ya'll feel any better, we are getting below freezing tomorrow night and Wednesday night too. Then back to lows in the 40's and 50's. Seedcorn----are you there??? Still hate Southerners???? :lol:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are in 20's next 3 nights. Snow wasn't suppose to stick but yet it is

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
My father's mother who was born in 1879 used to use the word NARY.

Nary a drop of rain has materialized so far. Looks like this storm is another tease.

Chickie, Subarus are AWESOME!

awd, abs, and mine has vdc, vehicular dynamic control. Makes it feel like the tires were dipped in rubber cement sticks to the road so good, and on turns there is no lean.

I really like all the 3 letter initials my subaru has.

Subaru is Japanese for the Pleiades star cluster.

=====

Digit, I've found that even when I pinpoint my location using weather.gov that my highs will be less that what they say and my lows will be higher than what they say. It's really using info from the weather station on the other side of Orchid Hill southwest of me a mile or so. I have their forecasts for temps usually figured and translated for what is more likely for my microclimate here. Usually.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
OK i'm kind of ashamed to admit this after freaking out about it but now the forecast says a low of 14 for sunday. As in not negative! My husband insists it was never negative, but i swear i saw a negative sign there! I think somebody made a typo! :hu

Anyway, no reason for panic, i can handle 14 degrees! (but i wont like it!)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don't forget to check that forecast again, Heather.

The WS blog seemed quite excited to report ;) that they really didn't know how far that cold air would travel south. They were suggesting the possibility of single digitS' in some locations -- and that is on THIS side of the mountains.

It depends on how far south the preceding storm will pull the cold air. It looks like it won't amount to much right now but they are going to have fun if it is a little more dramatic than how it appears at the moment.

Steve

Latest posts