Brugs, Berries and Trees

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So the conditions in which I grow an Angel Trumpet tree (is it considered a tree?) will affect the coloring?

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Well, yes. Depending upon the cultivar/parents, which decided their predisposed ideal climate, they will have slightly different colored blooms in our different climates. Most are Peruvian, Ecuadorian, (S. American) Brugs are an amazing plant. You'll always be surprised with them. Brugmansia sanguinea and b. vulcanicola are highly sought after, and are the only brugmansia I've ever run across that actually like the soil to dry slightly before their next watering. All are hungry feeders, and I fertilize mine every single day. sanguinea and vulcanicola also prefer cooler, foggy weather in which to bloom. But here in Florida, that just means we get winter blooms.
Arbgorea, which I showed at bottom, is more common and widely grown variety, and one most people recognize. A really good place to buy exciting cultivars from, (and well trusted amongst bruggers) is : http://www.countrygdn.com/onlineshop.html Just click their link in green menu up top that says 'online shop.' There are other trusted stores, and hundreds of cultivars. BTW, I am in no way associated with their site, I just love their variety and service.
Angel's trumpets are considered shrubs or small trees, and can be made to grow either way. Most bruggers like tree form. They can attain heights of up to 20 feet in wild, but very rare in cultivation. Most reach around 6 to 10 feet in excellent conditions.
Google them and you'll fall as in love with them as I have ;)

8012_sanguinea4.png

Brugmansia sanguinea

8012_vulcanicola-zunac.png

Brugmansia vulcanicola

8012_arborea1.png

Arborea is good parent to many hybrids

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
You fertilize them every day?!?!? Wow. Maybe I should rethink this. lol

Although, the sanguinea ones are REALLY eye-catching.

The ones I've seen around here are pink and yellow. I don't know if they dig them up each year or they just die back and resprout. They definitely aren't there during the winter. I will have to pay attention in the coming weeks to see if anything emerges from those spots.

I would love to have one that gets 6+ feet tall to plant beside the deck. The flowers would be eye(nose) level at that height. Is this a possibility? And can you point me in the right direction?

In the meantime, I will peruse the link you posted.

Also, I don't think I knew that passion flowers (maypops, to me) came in anything but purple. I sense those red ones will be working their way into our landscape soon.

I'm so glad you showed up. :)

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Awww, Amy, you have me blushing! ;)
Yes, passions come in many colors and types, the red types I think have three cultivars I can think of. Manicata, vitifolia and another one that escapes me at the moment. All look very much alike, but the centers give them away. They do not like frost, but if mulched very well and planted near a building with southern exposure, might make winter. Otherwise, place in large pot. There are some passions that will blow your mind they are so weird and fanciful, lol. Greens, yellows, blues, pinks, all kinds of colors and types. Some have bat winged shaped foilage and are mostly grown for that alone, others hang like the angel's trumpets from high up in the cloud forests and droop to show you the bloom. ( parritae and tacsonia, I think) Lol, with all the blooms of passions, my hubby still prefers the fruit of the maypop you mentioned the most. P. edulis is grown commerically (the one you use when buying passionfruit juice) but he hates that fruit and waits for my wandering maypops before picking and eating anything. Birds get my edulis. But like the brugs, their smells are quite sweet and strong, so worth growing just for fragrance. Yes, you could grow BRUG easily by patio, especially if facing south. Super fast growing. :)
TY Journey. I like your blog, sad about the little chicken.
I'm going to have to run out and take another photo. BTW Amy, passions are very hard to get going from seed, the fresher the better.

Latest posts